Forgotten industries.

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
G0BHD

Forgotten industries.

Unread post by G0BHD »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-53934503
Having been heavilly involved in the putting on various "gigs" aspect over the years I know many people, both individuals and larger employing companies that fall within this sector.
Just to mention a few, reasonably local decent size PA and lights company, done a bit in their time, worked for them many times, they were even involved in the 2012 Olympics venues areas, and many European tours of various name bands.
They employed 80+ staff, mixture of those "on the road", and those in the office, plus freelancers bought in when numbers needed necessitated it, gone bust finished, receivership, never to put PA or lights rig out again.
Been going and successful since the 70's.
I also know many freelance folks in the business, that have just given up in despair, both equipment and installation/sound engineers, as well as gigging musicians of course.
When folks used to go to a concert or event wherever, and at whatever level, I am sure not too many off them know of or even care about the huge support system behind putting them on, they just buy a ticket watch whatever show or event, and walk away hopefully satisfied, BUT behind all of the "spectacular" is a whole army of "grunts" most of whom are self employed, who without their availability and various skills the gig would never have happened!
With not only gear providing companies getting enough work, but also many venues going to the wall, the future is bleak, not Orange! ;)
I had one gig forthcoming in the book, an acoustic band gig at the very end of this month, all was going to go ahead, but now the venue concerned has decided just to "give it a day", all of the work I had in the book till the end of the year, had already been cancelled by either venues shutting down, or simply edging their bets against any promised work and clearing their books to eventually start again whenever.
Sangoma

Re: Forgotten industries.

Unread post by Sangoma »

Something will take their place, just more expensive.

Trouble is when it stops being plug and play and becomes plug and pray, they will be lost.

Dealer trying to sell me a service on my car, I said I want everyhing done, and was told yes they do everything, I asked does it include points and condenser, yes was the reply.

I know my car is old, but they stopped having them long before 2006 :lol:

That's the kind you will end up with doing the job.
G 3 E J S
G0BHD

Re: Forgotten industries.

Unread post by G0BHD »

Sangoma wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:25 am Something will take their place, just more expensive.

Trouble is when it stops being plug and play and becomes plug and pray, they will be lost.

Dealer trying to sell me a service on my car, I said I want everyhing done, and was told yes they do everything, I asked does it include points and condenser, yes was the reply.

I know my car is old, but they stopped having them long before 2006 :lol:

That's the kind you will end up with doing the job.
Maybe, but only if the job is still available and called for!
Once your car with points finally reaches the scrapyard, the next one might only need a laptop tech and battery expert of course.
If all gigs and live music plus support end up "virtual", with online so called "streamed concerts" and events cobbled together from disparate input from folks sat in home bedroom studios, and their output manipulated to make them appear "live" on stage you may as well just by the recording or DVD.
The Notting Hill festival is due to be streamed "virtually" this year....why even bother?
Not that it's my cup of tea out of all festivals country wide, but gatherings happen for a reason, and that encompasses far more than a slickly edited online virtual stream!
I do not look forward to a time my take part in the filed look on reality is watered down to what my eyes are seeing on some damn video screen.