The horse has already bolted...

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
M0XXQ

The horse has already bolted...

Unread post by M0XXQ »

Well, face masks from the 24th chaps, why not today?
Bit like giving a pregnant woman a pack of Condoms! :roll:
G6CSL

Re: The horse has already bolted...

Unread post by G6CSL »

I had to wear a mask for the first time today, when I had my pre-lockdown hair amputated.
I'm looking at it now. Even light shines through it.

How big is a virus? Won't the mesh of a mask be like a human walking through an aircraft hangar door?

At Sellafield; I had to wear a full-face respirator with HEPA filters. They could stop the smallest of airborne particles ... right down to smoke. But a virus would just sail through.
VK5TM

Unread post by VK5TM »

Not only that, but once they get damp (from the moisture in your breath), they do absolutely nothing (which is around 5 minutes after putting one on).

Still, makes the shiny suits* feel good about themselves.

* Shiny suits = those useless twats that sit on their fat arses and do nothing but think up ways to annoy everybody else.
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

The idea of the masks / face coverings is not to stop you getting it, but to help stop you spreading it if you have it.

For that, a home made fabric one is quite effective compared to nothing, if you keep your distance.
G 3 E J S
G6CSL

Unread post by G6CSL »

I've no problem wearing a mask if that's 'the norm'.

But will it make any difference? ... No.

I think that the false sense of security creates a hazard in itself. i.e. "wear a mask and everything is fine" ... when it just isn't.
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

G6CSL wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:23 am I've no problem wearing a mask if that's 'the norm'.

But will it make any difference? ... No.

I think that the false sense of security creates a hazard in itself. i.e. "wear a mask and everything is fine" ... when it just isn't.

I disagree, it will make a difference.

Just look at a simple example, somebody in the seat behind you on a bus is infected, every time they breath out, particles will be coming straight at you.
With a face covering / mask the number reaching you will be greatly reduced, simply because the directional airflow is reduced, and larger fluid particles that may contain the virus are stopped or slowed enough to fall before they reach you.

This is the purpose for all but the most expensive (and hard to get) surgical masks, as most masks do not filter the virus, only do the same as a face covering but in a more efficient way.

It can certainly make the difference to the R number, and could well do enough to prevent another lockdown.
G 3 E J S
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

To a virus the average home made ones, and the now flooding the market by cash in sellers cheaper ones certainly are like passing a fag paper through a barn door, at the nano meters scale virus's exist within, and that applies to whatever degree, in BOTH directions! ;)
Higher end medical grade ones?...yes maybe, a bit of cloth out of the bottom draw, carefully stitched up on the Singer sewing machine?....waste of bleeding time!
You have to smile, not too long ago there were calls by some in society for burkas to be banned, as "you couldn't see folks faces", and also no hoodies to be worn in shops, as it meant the security cameras could not pick them out, now they can't wait for us all to wear a face mask! :lol:
I don't buy into it, I am sorry I just don't.
It's mooted that a one hundred pound fine will be applied by "the police" those bastions of society, for anyone not wearing a mask in a shop.
Just watch the droves of "mask police" reporting every soul they see and deem not wearing one when they should.
We have always been a bit of nation of "report it" curtain twitchers, that mentality will explode as group exponentially! ;)
Bring it on, I have put aside a grand, there's ten "fines" I can ride.
I work with up to forty blokes a day!...not one wearing a face mask, but I stand more chance of dying by visiting a shop?
Horse has bolted!, now it's time to lock the door?, bullshit at its best.
VK5TM

Unread post by VK5TM »

Also, the virus can enter via the tear ducts and other parts of the eye, that's why you see medical people wearing face masks or head to toe hazmat suits.
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

G0BHD wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:01 am To a virus the average home made ones, and the now flooding the market by cash in sellers cheaper ones certainly are like passing a fag paper through a barn door, at the nano meters scale virus's exist within, and that applies to whatever degree, in BOTH directions! ;)
Higher end medical grade ones?...yes maybe, a bit of cloth out of the bottom draw, carefully stitched up on the Singer sewing machine?....waste of bleeding time!
You have to smile, not too long ago there were calls by some in society for burkas to be banned, as "you couldn't see folks faces", and also no hoodies to be worn in shops, as it meant the security cameras could not pick them out, now they can't wait for us all to wear a face mask! :lol:
Nobody is claiming they filter or stop the virus, and that is not the intended purpose of them.

And the effect of them IS directional, they are a lot more effective stopping you spread the virus than they are stopping you getting it.
( a point that seems to be well known in the east, but little known here).

I think you will find that most of the people who are going to resist wearing them are the self same people who resisted the lockdown initially.
A certain fake orange tanned politician is a fine example :)
G 3 E J S
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

Sangoma wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:41 am
G0BHD wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:01 am To a virus the average home made ones, and the now flooding the market by cash in sellers cheaper ones certainly are like passing a fag paper through a barn door, at the nano meters scale virus's exist within, and that applies to whatever degree, in BOTH directions! ;)
Nobody is claiming they filter or stop the virus, and that is not the intended purpose of them.

And the effect of them IS directional, they are a lot more effective stopping you spread the virus than they are stopping you getting it.
( a point that seems to be well known in the east, but little known here).

I think you will find that most of the people who are going to resist wearing them are the self same people who resisted the lockdown initially.
A certain fake orange tanned politician is a fine example :)
I don't have a fake orange tan, even if someone else does, I resisted the lockdown initially, why? cos I had a damn huge job to finish on time.
I had to comply eventually, and I even wore a mask one day, when HSE visited and it was insisted upon.
Other than that, and the fact my other half who's bed I continued to share "had a dose of it", caught from one of those well known office environments, where everybody sits with the heat still on in mid damn summer, and yet I am still here!
I have more chance of dying "on the job" than from this virus, I could have scaffolding fall on me any day, get electrocuted if I take my eye off the ball, knocked down by the still pissed from last night digger driver, fall down a huge none guarded hole, or whatever!
If I had it, I would have known about it by now, if I had it and had no symptoms I am sure I am well over it by now, so who the bloody hell am I going to give it to?
Unless of course I am a modern day version of "Typhoid Mary", a perpetual "carrier", and need locking away for the good of society! :roll:
I am very pragmatic when it comes to death, I could spend all day being ultra "careful" in my work, and yet get "knocked over" by a careless driver while simply walking to the local pub in the evening....Its called life!
And one day I will no doubt join the graveyard masses, but I refuse to spend my time worrying about how I end up there.