Ranting rant

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
sidspop

Ranting rant

Unread post by sidspop »

I will make no apology for what I am about to rant about, at the risk of pissing anybody off on here.

TIGHT ARSED AMATEURS!

Together with a mate, I have just bought the contents of a shop. A lot of it is tat, but there is some decent stuff, and been slowly working through it, repairing, cleaning, testing and flogging it.
It was a gamble, and now the gamble seems to be paying off, in as much as we have re-couped our original outlay. But like any other form of gamble, if you can't afford to loose, you should not be gambling in the first place.
After testing, repairing, and cleaning, there is taking pictures, adding to spreadsheet, adding prices, and uploading to website in order to advertise. Not quite as simple as just flogging it. OK?

Two cases spring to mind recently, regarding amateurs. It seems as though some want a champagne lifestyle on lucozade money.
Case 1. A bloke who asked (on another forum) for a particular radio. I have one. We exchanged a few emails, and I told him it was working, but needed final alignment, which he agreed, and offered me a price, which I accepted after consulting partner.
When it comes to the crunch, no bank transfer, no Paypal F & F. Only Paypal business!
An item that is worth 100 quid I agreed to post for 100 quid, thus loosing £7. Then he wants me to loose another £8.......?The only reason I can think he insisted that is so he could have recourse if it was faulty (which it was, as already noted), and then get his money back via Paypal. He conveniently lives far enough away as to think I would write it off, but revenge is a dish best served with a right hook.

Case 2.
I advertised a Triplexer. List price is 70 quid, so 50 quid posted is fair. It is as -new, if not new.
Chap number two tells me "too much, £40".
He does not say "a bit steep, would you accept £40", or "I am a little strapped at the moment, can you do a bit off?". He tells me. Ignorant bastard.
I looked him up on QRZ, and I will not divulge details, let's just say he had in excess of 20k of radio gear listed as his station. Yet he is haggling about a tenner.
He recieved a simple "no" as a reply.

There seems to be this wierd underlying thing about amateurs that they expect a discount off somebody else who is an amateur. I wonder if they have the same attitude when juicing up the car at Tesco, or buying the weekly shopping at Asda.....?

I will put it simply. If somebody wants something, and I have it, the price is the price. It is open to negotiation up to a certain point, but I will not be dictated to. I like to think I am fair, but am nobodys fool, and seeing as this is my bread and butter, it all counts.

I would welcome your thoughts. Am I being reasonable, or a grumpy sod
VK5TM

Re: Ranting rant

Unread post by VK5TM »

Geez, you only just working this out? :)

Hams have been the most tight fisted bunch since the hobby was invented (barring those few kind souls that do give stuff away).

Time to reprice everything 25% higher and then you can look like the good guy when you knock 10% off.

My rant - why is the Preview button on one side in some forums and on the other in other forums - I just hit the wrong bloody one. :mrgreen:
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

Some proper tight buggers in this hobby, many seem to take great satisfaction in getting something at a steal.
I'm just an average guy and not a dealer and my radios stick around for years but when I do sell or buy I try to be fair all-round.
Stuff em when they take the piss Sid.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
G0JUR

Unread post by G0JUR »

Probably asking for big discounts so they can make a profit on ebay, seems to be the thing these days.
MM0XXW

Unread post by MM0XXW »

Answer's simple .... sell to who you want to and tell the tight-arsed gits to go forth and multiply!!!! :lol:
Cheers,
Martyn

'True Blue' #797
M0BVL(Silent Key)

Unread post by M0BVL(Silent Key) »

Yep really is that easy ...it's in all walks of life ,it's basically business you don't have to sell if you don't want .
It's not broke yet ! ...just give me a minute.
sidspop

Unread post by sidspop »

Well there is a funny end to this.
The radio I advertised at a slightly higher price, on the same forum, and it was sold within a few hours, to somebody who offered to pay bank transfer or paypal F & F "to save your costs"
And the other item the bloke got back to me and offered what I wanted
M0HJO

Unread post by M0HJO »

sidspop wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:45 pm Well there is a funny end to this.
The radio I advertised at a slightly higher price, on the same forum, and it was sold within a few hours, to somebody who offered to pay bank transfer or paypal F & F "to save your costs"
And the other item the bloke got back to me and offered what I wanted
Good result in the end mate. :D
Glad to be Here.
RNARS
RSGB