Advise for new hams

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
M3PIE

Re: Advise for new hams

Unread post by M3PIE »

Well i watched it all, and if that is what this hobby is about now. CHRIST!!! :roll:
Talk about rule breaking if he thinks that newcomers need that garbage then the end is not long off. :cry:
On facebook the newcomers where and agreeing with him that we are Dinosaurs and will be wiped out by them. :o
No respect for bands and tradition of amateur radio history. :(
FFS says it all.
Mark.
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

Yep I've seen his rants #olddinosaurs etc... truly pathetic because the camp site said remove his end fed antenna outside his rented caravan.
Then he went on to moan about negativity on his internet presence then days later deleted it all from youtube and face ache.
The internet attracts the good the bad and ugly and if you can't take the crap with the good it'll always be a challenge.
So far I'm not too impressed with the whole online structure, the stuff I've read and heard I'm not entirely convinced it'll be the saviour of our hobby.
The clubs will suffer we've all said this and then the whole community spirit is flushed down the drain and we will be left with nothing more than a pigging virtual online club with zero face to face tutoring and guidance thus leading to poor etiquette on air and a hobby that will end up a pigging APP.
Well done all.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
M3PIE

Unread post by M3PIE »

M0VMT wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:29 pm Yep I've seen his rants #olddinosaurs etc... truly pathetic because the camp site said remove his end fed antenna outside his rented caravan.
Then he went on to moan about negativity on his internet presence then days later deleted it all from youtube and face ache.
The internet attracts the good the bad and ugly and if you can't take the crap with the good it'll always be a challenge.
So far I'm not too impressed with the whole online structure, the stuff I've read and heard I'm not entirely convinced it'll be the saviour of our hobby.
The clubs will suffer we've all said this and then the whole community spirit is flushed down the drain and we will be left with nothing more than a pigging virtual online club with zero face to face tutoring and guidance thus leading to poor etiquette on air and a hobby that will end up a pigging APP.
Well done all.

Well sorry to disagree with you on this Mark. But we already here and some.
I saw it on amateur radio UK on facebook and he did delete it, also was on ham radio UK on facebook but he made a mistake and he turned commenting off so i turned it back on and then he got more stick.
anyway the hobby is no longer tech minded and has a number of loonies around who can't even make a simple wire antenna or think they know everything!
The system is broken!
What we need in this hobby is quality not quantity when they don't even know what VSWR or SWAR!!! is, it says it all god forbid they need to use a manual ATU they then spit the dummies out.
Mark.
M0HJO

Unread post by M0HJO »

Yes Mark the hobby is broken and has been sold out by the RSGB!

Now, I'm no prune, I did 32 years in the military for god sake, but that vid made me feel sick!!
Glad to be Here.
RNARS
RSGB
G6CSL

Unread post by G6CSL »

M0HJO wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:13 pm Yes Mark the hobby is broken and has been sold out by the RSGB!

Now, I'm no prune, I did 32 years in the military for god sake, but that vid made me feel sick!!
I'm no 'moral judge' either. I don't care what people do in private. It's none of my business. I don't want to know.

But when they openly parade it and demand that you accept it; it's like being 'forced to watch'.

But at least on the interweb you can click away from it.
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

On an interesting personal observation level only, this hobby seemingly is mainly attractive to transitioned females, ie men who have chosen to identify now as women, I know of at least three of said people within radio earshot, and I know one fairly long term very local one personally, I knew that person as a male for a decade or so before they chose their alternate gender path, but I don't see an influx of genetically assigned women, joining the hobby that now happen to choose to identify as a man?
Well I have not myself encountered such a person to date.
Strange as this is often quoted as being a "mainly bloke based hobby".
I have witnessed a certain amount of hostility towards transgendered females, ie blokes that now identify as women within the hobby, I think we all have to whatever degree, but I just wonder if the same hostility would be metered out to any former women joining the hobby that now identify as being a man?
As blokes we do seem to feel more uneasy with a bloke in a frock, as opposed to a women now growing a beard, and declaring they identify as being a male, and wearing a three piece suit?
Or at least it appears that way to me.
Strange thing gender change biases thing, do they work in all directions, or only in one direction?
I wonder if happy with their gender women harbor the same biases as many happy with their gender males do towards transgendered people?
Or is it mainly a "bloke" thing?
I honestly do not claim to know.
M3PIE

Live stream of first HF contacts

Unread post by M3PIE »

Emily McCormick M6ELM got her amateur radio licence about 10 years ago but until this month had never operated. This video shows her first HF contacts which were live streamed by Callum M0MCX
https://youtu.be/95P6Q4FKWbE
Watch Emily YL Op M6ELM - LIVE on HF - First Timer Pile Up
See other DX Commander videos at
https://www.youtube.com/c/DXCommander/videos
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

I might get slated for this, but hey oh here we go!
So apart from the "eye candy" aspect, of a good looking young blonde bird with can of Coke and Vape in tow, being paraded in front of a long in the tooth old slavering at the bit bunch of radio amateur "blokes", this tells us what exactly about the nuts and bolts of engaging with the technical hobby that is, or should be, amateur radio?
10 years licensed and never been active before?, what's that about?, what was was point in doing it if you never were going to venture near it as a hobby for ten years?
May as well waited and have a latest online issued M7!
In fact just looking at her, she does not look "that old" now 10 years later, so when she sat the exam was this another example of the pushy parent look at how young my kid is and passed the exam situation?
And as for Callum and his "DX Commander Headquarters", he's just a bloke that loves the sound of his own voice in my humble opinion, I find him full of more shit than info, he should pack in the amateur radio side of "broadcasting", and get himself a job on local FM radio. :roll:
He would be well suited to the odd local phone in talk show.
I know some people think him wonderful, but personally?....I could learn more about radio from her indoors than he and his pod casts.
As I said in another thread, it's not the hobby I first joined.
The only way he could have upped the stakes with this contrived video, was if she got her tits out!
There you go, my two pennies worth, ban or not!
It has NOTHING to do with amateur radio in its all important technical sense.
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

This hobby is slipping and slipping and what you said above Dave sums it all up.
As for the transgender thing it doesn't bother me what bothers me is the me me me aspect and fook you I'm allowed to do what I want on the NHS so long as I feel good. You want bits adding or removing in my world then pay, it's truly sad our NHS is used for gender reassignment unless in rare cases you've been born with issues.
I've stopped watching calum and his merry men like you said it's radio 3 on a ham radio, and some of his tag team and him seem to think giving the foundation away may be a good idea as if it's even needed when it's pretty easy to gain one.
I don't know where radio is heading at the minute, some aspects of it are becoming nauseating in a big way.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

Mark it really pees me off these days!
I would love to place a busted old Pye Cambridge in front of some of these modern day radio "experts", and say, there you go.... "Fully qualified radio amateur".... fix that bugger!
Albeit they have a valve PA, and multi-vibrator pack for generating the HT, although most today would think a multi-vibrator was some sort of a sex aid! :D
They are as a radio in general most basic in their radio principals, yet I seriously doubt many would even know how to remove the case screws these days! :roll:
And "wide banding" them, not that you can of course, isn't down to the internet searched snip of a wire, or crunch of a diode! :lol:
I have given up mate.
I have shit many of the so called experts around today.
They seem to think finding your way around the latest must have radio menu system, especially the bit where you can tweak your TX audio, makes you a radio expert?
And I don't consider myself an all out expert by any means, I really don't, but come on!
How low do we want to go?
Cornflake packets.