Rules!

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
Sangoma

Re: Rules!

Unread post by Sangoma »

G0BHD wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:23 am Yes I fit many flat panel LEDS these days, either the suspended ceiling type 600 x 600, or 1200 x 600, and the surface mount equivalents, and some circular variants of course of various diameters,
I agree they give great overall light coverage, absolute pee on the old style multi fluorescent tube versions of old, but for a living room area they do look a little like an office space or Doctors waiting room! :D
I use some nice quality down lighters for domestic areas, they are LED and switchable between warm white or daylight colour temperatures, and the bezels come in a whole range of colours to suit your decorating desires.
V70's, and their bigger cousin V100's, they look very tidy, and give a very good light coverage, and the option to choose the colour temperature with the flick of a front mounted switch, (which the bezel covers when fitted), is good for picking your desired light style.
They are dimmable as well, with a leading edge type dimmer unit, another bonus, for those that love dimmers of course, personally a light is either "on or off" to me! :D
I like them as they are not obvious on a white painted ceiling, and can be added to by smaller lights for atmosphere.

I have a 600X600 in the kitchen, fed from the "old" main light through a PIR switch. The main light is now just three LED spots, and the LED panel is towards one corner over the cooker, sink and main work area. If some one leaves the light on, the total of the three spots is 15W :)

When we had the bathroom done, I fitted two 250X250, mounted along a diagonal between two corners, so one is about above the shower, and the other about above the basin, but fitted that way, there are no shadows. Again switched by a PIR, so youo never need to use the switch (which is now in a cupboard in the passage)

We also have one in the downstairs hall, and the downstairs loo, and the upstairs landing is also LED PIR swiched.

I have a chandelier with LEDs that is going in the stair well (U shaped stairs), that will be on a pulley, so to change lamps just put your head in the loft hatch and let it down. That is also having a PIR switch. Hope to finish that next week.

LED has changed things to me so that we can do just what we want without having power hungry halogen :)

I don't know the downlighters you mention, do they mount in the ceiling?
If so, then as you are putting a new ceiling in, they would be fine, but after helping (read doing it for him) fit 12 to his kitchen, and drilling the joists for the cable through the ceiling, not again !

I used to have dimmers, but like you say, a light is on or off, couldn't agree more; if you want less light, turn some off.
G 3 E J S
gw7unv

Unread post by gw7unv »

G0BHD wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:14 am Meanwhile.......on "Super Saturday".......
https://news.sky.com/story/thousands-fl ... r-12021455
I am truly shocked that folks didn't "pop to the pub" and adhere to strict social distancing rules and in fact went a bit wild........NOT! ;)
A bun fight I am glad I was not part of.
It looks like it's back to plan A, "Herd immunity" by the back door then.

Evan
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

gw7unv wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:03 am
G0BHD wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:14 am Meanwhile.......on "Super Saturday".......
I am truly shocked that folks didn't "pop to the pub" and adhere to strict social distancing rules and in fact went a bit wild........NOT! ;)

Evan
Yes, but that will be the way they go now.

They have seen what levels pose a threat to the NHS coping or not, they have found that some simple and cheap medicines help recovery, they seem to have started to get PPE supplies under control, so they are in a far better position than a few months ago.
Hopefully, they now have enough information and insight to know when to put the brakes on when the inevitable increase in cases occurs.

They also need to see what happens when restrictions are lifted well before winter, as that will have an effect as well, and the two don't need to be confused.
G 3 E J S
M0HJO

Unread post by M0HJO »

G0BHD wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:23 am Yes I fit many flat panel LEDS these days, either the suspended ceiling type 600 x 600, or 1200 x 600, and the surface mount equivalents, and some circular variants of course of various diameters,
I agree they give great overall light coverage, absolute pee on the old style multi fluorescent tube versions of old, but for a living room area they do look a little like an office space or Doctors waiting room! :D
I use some nice quality down lighters for domestic areas, they are LED and switchable between warm white or daylight colour temperatures, and the bezels come in a whole range of colours to suit your decorating desires.
V70's, and their bigger cousin V100's, they look very tidy, and give a very good light coverage, and the option to choose the colour temperature with the flick of a front mounted switch, (which the bezel covers when fitted), is good for picking your desired light style.
They are dimmable as well, with a leading edge type dimmer unit, another bonus, for those that love dimmers of course, personally a light is either "on or off" to me! :D
Its all I fit at work these days Dave & Steve, LED down lighters in lodges and just made a new bigger Gym, I fitted all 600 X 600 flat panels in there. Same 600 X 600 in the changing rooms as well.

We get most of it from Screw fix, always do me a good deal on all electrical products.
Glad to be Here.
RNARS
RSGB
G6CSL

Unread post by G6CSL »

Evan
Never mind. Maybe we will get Covid-19 out of the way just in time for the new Swine Flu.
https://news.sky.com/story/new-swine-fl ... l-12017782
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

G6CSL wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:50 pm

Evan
Never mind. Maybe we will get Covid-19 out of the way just in time for the new Swine Flu.
https://news.sky.com/story/new-swine-fl ... l-12017782
Oh great! :D
Another three month lock down to look forward to! :lol:
I do hope this disease has not set a precedent for future disease control actions, cos if it happens every time a new bug or variant of old bug springs up, we may as well all just give up now. ;)
G6CSL

Unread post by G6CSL »

Easier to lock-down China.

I think The Donald is working on it. ;)