Determination of impact of VDSL interference on the Amateur Radio Service

Latest radio related news and updates from contesting to DXpeditions, rallies and events.
M0XXQ

Determination of impact of VDSL interference on the Amateur Radio Service

Unread post by M0XXQ »

Determination of impact of VDSL interference on the Amateur Radio Service.

The RSGB has been measuring the levels of Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) from VDSL broadband
since 2014. Work has included measurements on test sites and at Amateur Stations where RFI was
reported as degrading communication. A summary of the levels for 92 locations reported in 2016
recorded typical RFI levels for the VDSL bands. A detailed report covering eleven reported problem
locations dated 28/9/2016 was produced, shared with and discussed with BT, Openreach and Ofcom.
As a result of this meeting limited observations from Ofcom concluded that levels observed at amateurs’
premises did not constitute Harmful Interference.

See the attached documents for more information.
VDSL-RFI-RSGBOfcom-meeting-June-21-2017.pdf
(5.22 MiB) Downloaded 66 times
M0VMT

Re: Determination of impact of VDSL interference on the Amateur Radio Service

Unread post by M0VMT »

I don't want to sound negative but the simple fact of the matter is we are no longer protected.
You can reach the dizzy heights of a full call have permission for a tower and have a £15k worth of gear and one day jump on 30 metres to find it's wiped out with crud.
You can have 0-30 decimated with man made crap to be told by ofcom SORRY it's not harmful interference.
How many OPs have we seen advertising their gear because of this.
All of us in the UK could be subjected to noise one day and bang no action.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

I have my own battle now with noise since yesterday, a email to the RSGB emc team left me being told good luck and that he had had a license 55 years what that willy waving was for gawd knows.
Actually I'm bloody disgusted in his replies and I shall be telling the RSGB board how pissed off I am.
I went back to ofcom and now have a ticket in....
40 20 17 10 are being effected with s6 of crud and the only way to null it is engage the noise blanker in the ts480 I have and even then I get it creeping in.
To say I'm disalusioned right now is a understatement.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

On a plus note ofcom are coming out to investigate.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

After reading articles on VDSL it's seems
0-18mhz are the ones effected yet I've got this noise up to 46mhz.
Today I made a small loop and went for a walk around the block, I've pinpointed it to my neighbours house and the telegraph pole outside.
I think it it's telephone line related and the house next door is on telephone lines line broadband and I reckon they are using WiFi extenders which is spreading the dirty signal everywhere.
Now I don't speak to the people next door which has made this situation even worse but I'm not one to give in that easy.
So I have ofcom coming but today I rang BT that's the UKs main telephone provider and got put through to openreach that provide their internet.
I rang BT and told them of my findings at 13:00hrs today and that they may want to get a engineer and check it out ! At 15:00hrs it ceased back to my normal levels.
Now I'm not holding my breth but maybe they have ceased doing what they were up to.
Since going back out with my loop nothing and a neighbour over the road asked me what I was doing and I told them and he told me his bt internet has been messing up coincide??? And last week a engineer was up that very same pole.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

Ofcoms second visit today anf two chaps came and they nailed it.
It was on 16.5 hrs a day think about it ?
Well the officers don't tell you much data protection and all that but the occupants refused them entry yet mysteriously tonight HF is beautiful like it used to be.
Fingers crossed it's over thanks to ofcom and as for my radio society and their response well I may as well have pissed in the wind.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
M0BVL(Silent Key)

Unread post by M0BVL(Silent Key) »

Was it to do with a 🍅
It's not broke yet ! ...just give me a minute.
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

Yea tomatoes maybe the smoking type :D
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS