I just don't get this.

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
G0BHD

I just don't get this.

Unread post by G0BHD »

https://news.sky.com/story/shrunken-hea ... n-12072131
Now these artifacts like many others including Egyptian ones, Dinosaur bones and whatever were collected by individual explorers, anthropologists, geologists, and even have a go amateurs with the money to fund an overseas expedition.
Quite a lot happened to be undertaken at the time of the British Empire, but to remove them from view in an act of wanting to try and go down a route of "decolonisation" of exhibits is just bullshit!
They have nothing to do with colonialism, unlike say "slaves" and slave history, where white slavers ventured forth, rounded up black people and shipped them off to the new World or wherever.
These were often scientific or geographic expeditions, that collected specimens from their travels along the way, brought them back here to display so that folks unable to make the same sorts of journeys could view them and learn of life elsewhere on the planet, the very planet where most of them that eventually went to view them in whatever local museum never even left their own country.
Take the shrunken heads concerned, they have nothing to do with colonisation, they were discovered among certain tribes, and exist simply a result of customs and practices among those tribes that the explorers encountered.
For their removal to be classed an act of decolonialism, we would have had to go there and introduce the damn practice to them.
I understand returning some items to their countries of origin, so called repatriation of artifacts, if folks there ask for them to be returned.
As an example, Aboriginal artifacts deemed spiritual, or even physical human remains where various modern day descendant indigenous folks ask for them to be returned so they can bury them according to their traditions, or whatever, but lets not blame colonialism for everything on the back of this damn rewrite history BLM crusade, or use it as an excuse to take certain items off view, as they are no longer considered PC!
M0VMT

Re: I just don't get this.

Unread post by M0VMT »

Shruken heads yep plenty of them trying to eradicate objects and statues that doesn't fit in with their version of history or bubble.
It's a shame organizations are pandering to the fanatical cry's of the fascists that are trying to rule over us with some kind of made up guilt trip smoke screen.
It needs to stop all this BS.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D