What is all this stuff?!

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
ooofarmer

What is all this stuff?!

Unread post by ooofarmer »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, and I don't know much about radios. I've just come into possession of a load of radio equipment, and I have no idea if it's junk, or whether someone is going to want it? Here are some photos, does anyone have an idea?
IMG_7075.jpeg
IMG_7073.jpeg
IMG_7072.jpeg
IMG_7074.jpeg
IMG_7071.jpeg
IMG_7067.jpeg
IMG_7069.jpeg
IMG_7068.jpeg
IMG_7070.jpeg
M0XXQ

Re: What is all this stuff?!

Unread post by M0XXQ »

Hi David, welcome to the forum.
That is old test equipment, vintage gear that is quite niche to a small group of collectors.
Your best bet would be to advertise it on this forum in the For Sale sections and on the various Facebook groups and of course Ebay - It will sell however I am no expert in the vintage gear so best look around and see who comes up with a value.

Cheers

Rob.
ooofarmer

Thanks for the quick reply. The problem I have with listing it is that I don't know how to describe it!
G6CSL

Unread post by G6CSL »

ooofarmer wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:53 pm Thanks for the quick reply. The problem I have with listing it is that I don't know how to describe it!
Yep, some grand old-school test/setup kit there, and a SW Receiver.

You won't get a fortune for it, but for gawd's sake don't ditch it, because somebody will love it. And once it's gone ... it's gone.

Anybody in that 'niche' will know what it is from your photos alone, so I would re-post them in the 'Make Me an Offer' section as 'Old-School Test Gear'.
Last edited by G6CSL on Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
VK5TM

Unread post by VK5TM »

There are plenty of people here that can tell you what you have and likely value https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php
MM0TFU

Unread post by MM0TFU »

Don't bin it, you have some decent stuff there that someone will buy, even if it's just for spares. The Eddystone 888 was a good receiver in it's day and you also have the accompanying S (signal strength) Meter and the extension speaker, which are getting quite difficult to find these days. It's difficult to put a value on it without knowing condition or whether it's in working order, but on eBay a starting bid anywhere between £50-£100 might generate some interest and it should fetch considerably more.

The Sommerkamp FL-200B is a late 1960's transmitter, which would have had an accompanying receiver (probably an FR-100), and again it's something that would be of interest to a restorer of old radios. If you had both they would probably have been worth considerably more than the transmitter alone, but putting a value on it is difficult.

Don't worry too much about detailed descriptions as the folk buying this stuff usually know what they are looking at, but try to put the full name of the item and it's model number in the listing. List everything as spares or repairs, unless of course you know it's fully working and electrically safe. Take plenty of good quality pictures from as many angles as you can, and take the covers off too if you have time to show the guts, so that prospective buyers can see what's there, and more importantly...what's not! Often the biggest problem with this type of vintage gear is shipping it. It usually weighs a ton, but try to offer shipping where at all possible and a few quid spent on decent, sturdy packing materials could pay dividends.

Good luck.
Cheers,
Iain.

Illegitimi non carborundum
ooofarmer

Great, thanks for all the info, much appreciated.