Arduino question

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
Sangoma

Arduino question

Unread post by Sangoma »

Can the hex files generated by the Arduino IDE be loaded into a bare chip?

i.e. using the chip on a home made board without the parts I don't want (like USB interface)
G 3 E J S
M0XXQ

Re: Arduino question

Unread post by M0XXQ »

Sangoma wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:12 am Can the hex files generated by the Arduino IDE be loaded into a bare chip?

i.e. using the chip on a home made board without the parts I don't want (like USB interface)
Not to my knowledge Steve, but you can upload the C++ code from the Arduino IDE using the chips built in UART, you will need some kind of USB to TTL coverter.
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

M0XXQ wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:18 am
Sangoma wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:12 am Can the hex files generated by the Arduino IDE be loaded into a bare chip?

Not to my knowledge Steve, but you can upload the C++ code from the Arduino IDE using the chips built in UART, you will need some kind of USB to TTL coverter.
Thanks, that raises another question.
Just shows how little I know about the Arduino, from what you say, the Arduino IDE does not compile the C++ code then? Is it interpreted at runtime in the chip.
That would really take it back to the 80's, so I'm sure I have misread what you wrote.

OK, that's all wrong, but I will leave it there to show how far off the mark I am.
Just had a look at the IDE and it does compile
ar1.jpg
I think the problem is more the way I asked :)

If I compile a sketch for this
ar2.jpg
Will it run on this
ar3.jpg

Or is there something on the Arduino board which the compiled code needs that not on the bare chip?

I have lots of 99p USB to TTL dongles I use for making radio dongles :)

The ATmega2560 does have the advantage of I/O pins, I have already used 32 of the 33 on the 16F877A, and already looking at using two processors exchanging info between them. (which may be a better idea anyway)

The other area the Arduino is going to be far easier is using a graphics touch screen rather than just a 4 line text display,

Maybe while I'm waiting for parts and still thinking (only got three pages of notes so far) on precisely how things are going to work, I will have another look at C.
G 3 E J S
VK5TM

Unread post by VK5TM »

The Arduino has a bootloader which takes up a particular part of the memory and the program you write is loaded to an area after this.

You can use just the chip on a board/in a project by loading the bootloader first, not sure if the details are on the Arduino site somewhere, but there are details all over the net on how to do it - it uses and Arduino to do it.

I have an inkling that you can program just a chip with a program (no bootloader) the same way.