The modern World.

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
G0BHD

The modern World.

Unread post by G0BHD »

Bees, apparently struggling a bit at the moment, for various reasons, always one of the Worlds most prolific pollinators, but these days suffering from a mixture of overuse of certain insecticides, and a few acquired virus's and mites.
Just listened to a documentary where a company is developing "micro miniature flying "drones", to hopefully "buzz" from in need of pollination flowering whatever to the next one, in a modern day tech app controlled version of insect pollination.
Marvelous idea I am sure, but the sceptic in me can't help thinking that A: they will never do as a good a job as the critters biologically evolved to do just that, and B: might it not just be better to work out a solution to maintaining the lives and stockpiles of the very insects that nature has provided over millions of years of evolution, for sheer pollination efficiency?
Another modern tech idea that was being mooted were fleets of roving "robots" that cruise the fields among the in need of pollination plants, gathering pollen when available, and then that being artificially transferred later to other plants of the same species in need of said pollination.
Again I can't help thinking finding a way to save the little insect critters that have always done the job very efficiently, might not be a better and more productive answer for mankind in the long run. ;)
I just don't buy this idea you can high tech and app your way out of every crisis.
M0VMT

Re: The modern World.

Unread post by M0VMT »

Sounds like a waste of resources on something that will fail, how will they control them ? More crud on the spectrum.
Better still develop a deadly drone that takes out rioters and knife/gun carrying scum, make the world a better place.
Bees I like bees and never aggressively brush them away.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

Won't be long before they have them to create babies.
G 3 E J S
VK5TM

Unread post by VK5TM »

Or they will just genetically produce more varieties of plants that are self pollinating and do without the bee's altogether.