VHF Beacons

Discuss topics around CW, WSPR, FT8, FSK, JT Meteor Scatter and EME modes here.
G0DJA

VHF Beacons

Unread post by G0DJA »

I had a go in the MGMAC on 144MHz last night so, whilst I'd got the 2M antenna set up on a wooden clothes airer, I thought I'd have a look round at the VHF beacons.

I can hear the CW and decode the JT65b signals from the GB3VHF beacon. It does fade out at times, but it's usually between about -15dB to -21dB here. It's 238kM from me, but I do seem to have a reasonable view out across Lincolnshire anyway.

However, I'm not hearing GB3SEV very well. I did manage to decode the CW ident and could see the tone trace, but I've not yet decoded the JT65b signal as yet. There look to be some hills in the way so, although it's closer to me than GB3VHF, at 119kM, it's difficult to get a good signal.

I do need to improve the antenna though. I'm currently using a 3 element Yagi/Uda inside the house and without a decent pre-amp as well...
Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)
M0XXQ

Re: VHF Beacons

Unread post by M0XXQ »

When I was active on the bands I used to enjoy beacon hunting, I started using Air scout for Aircraft scatter and it worked very well, a simple lashup can yield good results especially with the JT and P14 enabled beacons, makes good propagation reporting to get folks on the bands testing various paths.

Cheers

Rob.
G0DJA

Re: VHF Beacons

Unread post by G0DJA »

Sometimes it seems as if the only stations transmitting are the beacons...

I often have a swing round the 23cm beacons, including GB3CSB and GB3NGI which transmit JT4g and G8MBU who sends JT65c.

On 2M the preferred machine generated mode for beacons in the UK seems to be JT65b.

I have used AirScout in the past but, due to issues relating to the data feed, it's no longer as reliable as it was, in my opinion. Not the fault of the developer, of course, but the work round seems to mean that planes get missed as I often see/hear reflections when there's no planes that appear to be in range. Some could be military, of course, but there seem to be too many missing to be just down to military aircraft.
Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)