Newark Hamfest

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
M0VMT

Re: Newark Hamfest

Unread post by M0VMT »

Online has crippled it all in my opinion the same specials were online you didn't need to go :shock:
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
M0XXQ

Unread post by M0XXQ »

Thing is Mark, the stall prices were much less than online Ebay dreamers, I spotted an FT757 in good condition and they only wanted £125 for it - that's more like what those old rigs are worth but Ebay just opens up utter nonsense.
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

eBay dreamers mate
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
G0JUR

Unread post by G0JUR »

Couldn't get friday of work too bloody busy so went on saturday with the brother, what a mistake, hardly anything off interest on the outside and even less inside. ymmv of course.
Mind you nearly had to bitchslap the geezer on moonraker stand, prat!
M0XXQ

Unread post by M0XXQ »

G0JUR wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:45 pm Couldn't get friday of work too bloody busy so went on saturday with the brother, what a mistake, hardly anything off interest on the outside and even less inside. ymmv of course.
Mind you nearly had to bitchslap the geezer on moonraker stand, prat!
Oh do tell, what happened like?
G0JUR

Unread post by G0JUR »

The brother was looking for a cheap 2m yagi,so he asked the gaffer at moonraker how long his 2m yagi's were
theguy looked at us as if we were morons and replied well its 2m so obviously they are 1 metre.
It went downhill from there, the geezers final shot was theres no such thing as a10 element yagi for 2m :roll:
M0HJO

Unread post by M0HJO »

G0JUR wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:53 pm The brother was looking for a cheap 2m yagi,so he asked the gaffer at moonraker how long his 2m yagi's were
theguy looked at us as if we were morons and replied well its 2m so obviously they are 1 metre.
It went downhill from there, the geezers final shot was theres no such thing as a10 element yagi for 2m :roll:
What a idiot, heard it all now.

What is my 13ele yagi for 2M on my roof then?? :shock:
Glad to be Here.
RNARS
RSGB
M0XXQ

Unread post by M0XXQ »

G0JUR wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:53 pm The brother was looking for a cheap 2m yagi,so he asked the gaffer at moonraker how long his 2m yagi's were
What a whopper, he has a bit of a reputation for being a wally, he once gave me the old attitude on the phone when he sent me a role of RG213 instead of the Westflex I paid for, tried to tell me they are both the same :lol:
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

Haaaa that geezer my mate bought a battery elimnator for his tyt handheld when my mate said do us a good price he went on a little tantrum about his stall cost 2k to stand and he makes very little.
Proper moaning geezer.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
sidspop

Unread post by sidspop »

I did not attend this show, so I cannot comment on what happened, or didn't.
But let me drop this in to the discussion.
Everybody wants a bargain, that is human nature, and even amateurs come under that banner........
But why should being at a show mean the traders have to give a discount?
I attended Blackpool earlier this year, on a stand.
Loading the van takes 2 men two days, including itemising everything that goes on. That's not just radios, there's till, computers, price tickets, cloths for the stand, banners etc.
Set off at 03.30 AM to arrive at 07.00, to set up the stall. Then there's 2 and a half hours of panic whilst setting up, unpacking gear, and if lucky grabbing a bacon sarnie.
When the doors open, everybody rushes in, and everybody wants serving at the same time.
The rush lasts till 11.30, and maybe time for a coffee and a widdle.
Continue serving until shutdown, the load van, drive home, and next day empty whatever is left.

So you have 11 man days (5 on stall), two lots of diesel, rent of stall, electric on stall, and other incidentals.
That's why discounts are not readily given, because margins are so tight