1kW auto tuner

Homebrew equipment discussion, show off your projects.
Sangoma

1kW auto tuner

Unread post by Sangoma »

Started building another one, designed the relay board and controller board (no picture) yesterday, just the tandem match board to go.
The main object of this one is to use the N7DDC software for something a bit bigger than 100W.
1kWtuner.jpg

Third one now, one is still in used everyday, the other a Russian one I built about 5 years ago for the toroids and capacitors I took apart yesterday for the toroids and capacitors.

I haven't done much for a year, now I have a few projects on the go. :)
G 3 E J S
Sangoma

Re: 1kW auto tuner

Unread post by Sangoma »

Started the board yesterday, but after cutting the tracks, half way through drilling the holes the PC crashed, and I couldn't get the software going again.

The router had been runnig for nearly four hours with the board and another item, so left it until this morning.

Something must have got too warm, as it is OK again now.

Managed to rerund the drill code and stop it above the first hole, then line it up, so the rest of the holes are all in the right place.

Nearly finished now.
b1.jpg
G 3 E J S
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

That's cool Steve making your own board and yes I bet the drill got warm, I was looking at the eBay kits for the 100 watt ones....what a bargain just make it and slip it in a case which are also available.
I've loads I want to do but I've just not got the room here, I'm on with a new shed soon and I'm going to try and get one with enough room for a little work bench so I can do some projects/builds.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

I don't know what got too warm, have an idea it was the controllers. The spindle motor has a fan on it, but the stepper motors get too hot to touch.

I'm lucky, I have the conservatory as a workshop. It seemed like a good idea when I added it, but in winter it is too cold, and being south facing too hot in summer, nobody ever went into it, so I took it over :)

The router is a fantastic help, I used to have to get up in the middle of the night to etch in the kitchen with no one around, and although it can take a while to make a board, once it is running, you can leave it and just listen in case something goes wrong, you don't have to stand over it.

The control board has just finished the drilling
b2.jpg
Now I just have to design and make the tandem match board. Have to finish all three, then I will tim plate thm before building. The tinning solution does not keep once mixed, so want to do all at the same time. Next week I think.

Running out of PC board too, thought I had plenty.
G 3 E J S
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

Boards are finished.
b3.jpg
G 3 E J S
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

Next week ame early :)
1kwtun.jpg
I wanted to use a 2X16 display, but the ones I've got don't work, or the address of the I2C is wrong.

It is Icom compatible, and has two antenna connections

Now to make a case.
G 3 E J S
M0XXQ

Unread post by M0XXQ »

Nice work Steve, is the 2X16 LCD got one of those I2C backpacks?
You can set the address using the jumpers if so, they also should have a preset address - Can't remember of the top of my head but 0x27 rings a bell.
VK5TM

Unread post by VK5TM »

Did you set the option in the N7DDC software for the correct display?
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

VK5TM wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:43 pm Did you set the option in the N7DDC software for the correct display?
Thought I had replied, bu I forgot to submit and lost it.

Yes, and I have tried every address I can find for them.

I wrote 27 on them, but that was 6-7 years ago, so can't remember.

Ordered 10 more adapters now :)
G 3 E J S
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

Good news, I found some more adapters in the Arduino drawers, and they work fine, so now I have the 16X2 display.

Trial fitting of the boards, may put some screening between the RF and PIC boards, but doubt it is needed.
1kWtuner1.jpg
1kWtuner2.jpg
Will fit comfortably in a box 200X160X85mm
G 3 E J S