Why do we try to reinvent the wheel

Homebrew equipment discussion, show off your projects.
M0VMT

Why do we try to reinvent the wheel

Unread post by M0VMT »

I have a OCF fed with ladder line and a 4-1 for multiband operation and I get from 80-10 with ease on it although I use loading coils for 80 and I have recently made a zs6bkw with ok results but nothing to make me feel like trashing my loaded ocf.
Then I made a loaded a g5rv junior and loaded it for 80 still not happy, then I made a g7fek still not happy and I have put my Frankenstein OCF back up and thought stuff it.
I wanted to go all balanced and my yard/garden is at best 80 feet in the clear so a 124ft doublet is impossible so loading is my only option or a vertical ground mounted with radials which with my noise levels probably would be pissing in the wind and as for end feds I have tried them for 80 and the noise kills me so I am sticking with my OCF.
After much research it seems a ocf fed with ladder seems to go against the rule book yet in the 50s it didn't it was the norm, they now say the ladder can radiate with it not being balanced and you should feed a ocf with coax, now why do they make a corolina windom with a radiating coax drop with a termination balun :roll: my opinion is the RF has to go some where just keep it out of the shack.
I did insert a wound common choke just after the 4-1 which does the job as I have no rf in the shack, so I am now just sticking with what I have as I feel their is nothing better to beat my current set up to get on 80 and most of the other HF bands.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
VK5TM

Re: Why do we try to reinvent the wheel

Unread post by VK5TM »

Old story -> what is there works, but better is wanted.

But how do you know what is better if you don't build it?

So you build it and the original was the best of the lot -> full circle. :)
M0VMT

Re: Why do we try to reinvent the wheel

Unread post by M0VMT »

Yeah Terry full 360 mate...I have decided to improve on this one now :D
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D