Heil pro 7

HF Related topics.
M0VMT

Re: Heil pro 7

Unread post by M0VMT »

My mate has one and it sounds ok but his pr781 sounds better for rag chewing but the headset sounds like it would cut through pile ups better.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
MM0XXW

Unread post by MM0XXW »

I tried one, not mine it was a loan model, and wasn't too impressed!
Maybe it's not suited to the old FT-1000MP but I just couldn't get the price out of my head and was expecting something that maybe wasn't there in the first place.

On that note I had an aviation headset, http://www.highamheadsets.co.uk/pnrheadsets.html, on my Icom 718 and it sounded superb, looked exactly the same as the Pro7 but at a fraction of the cost!
Oh and I am a tight git :arrow: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers,
Martyn

'True Blue' #797
MM0TFU

Unread post by MM0TFU »

I bought a Pro 7 headset a couple of years ago after trying (and failing) to track down the last of the Proset 5's, before Heil ceased production. I like the Prosets as they are quite light and comfortable, but when there were no more available with the HC-4 or the HC-5 inserts I needed to try something else.

I tried the Pro 7 at the Newark Hamfest and it was quite comfortable and, as Wet and Sticky were doing a deal, I treated myself. I use it with a FT-2000 and have received only favourable reports on the audio quality. It is a heavier beast than the Proset, but the construction is much more robust. Gone are the plastic support arms of the Proset, replaced by adjustable metal arms with a locking mechanism, and having broken a couple of the plastic Proset arms in the past, this is no bad thing. They have also improved the quality of the boom swivel. It's now has a number of click-stop positions, rather than a smooth swivel action. Having broken a couple of these in the past, I think this might be better in the long run.

Another bonus is that the Pro 7 comes with a choice of either leather type earpads or gel pad type. They are easily interchangeable and with the gel pads fitted almost all exterior noise is blanked out, to the point that someone has to come up and tap you on the shoulder to attract attention. There is also a choice of a straight cord or a coiled 'curly' cord and a nifty little PTT pad which has a lapel clip.

I found the Pro 7 just as comfortable to wear for several hours as the original Proset, particularly when the leather earpads are used, as they are not so tight on the head. The only thing which might present a problem is the angle which the cable connector comes out the left earpiece. The connector is a little on the long side, and it can sometimes rub on the left shoulder. It's a minor issue, but if you have a short neck (or big shoulders) it might be more of a problem. The Pro 7 is not cheap, but I think it will last longer than the old Prosets that I have, and I have had them around 15 years. I think that if you buy one for use with an FT-991, you will not be disappointed.
Cheers,
Iain.

Illegitimi non carborundum