Eczema, not the usual sort of topic.

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
G0BHD

Eczema, not the usual sort of topic.

Unread post by G0BHD »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-54123476
It's something you don't often hear about these days, but as a long term sufferer I can fully sympathise with the distress it can cause to younger folks, with its often disfiguring attributes.
As a kid I suffered from it quite extensively, arms, legs, chest, and back, (never had it on my face fortunately), it was back in those days also linked/associated to asthma which I also suffered from, according to my doctor as a kid, but not sure if the correlation between the two was ever really established?
I well remember my Mother rubbing in the as prescribed in those days medication, "Zinc Ointment Cream", it stunk to high heaven! :)
These days it tends to be various emollients for mild cases, and even steroid based stuff for major ones.
As I got older it eventually diminished a lot, but has for my entire life never completely gone away, I am now 64 years old, and still have one "patch" the size of the palm of my hand on my right leg calf, that simply refuses to go away whatever topographical medication gets regularly rubbed into it as is latest "prescribed" by the doc, seems to keep it localised though to be fair, and it does not spread.
The Asthma, if it was ever linked, has disappeared to a massive extent, and I don't really "suffer" from it anymore.
Not too long ago I asked my latest Doc why it was persisting after all this decades of applied medication time, he simply said... "I honestly don't know, but it could possibly be a diet thing?"....my reply was "if it's down to diet why has it vanished everywhere else but my right leg?"....he had no answer to that at all, so I am still none the wiser. ;)
Sangoma

Re: Eczema, not the usual sort of topic.

Unread post by Sangoma »

Have you been tried on Protopic?
G 3 E J S
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

Sangoma wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:34 am Have you been tried on Protopic?
I have tried all sorts of prescribed stuff over the years, with varying degrees of success, nothing has ever completely eliminated it but some stuff has been far better than others at keeping it under control.
That brand name is not one I have ever been prescribed, is it good stuff?, over the counter or by prescription only?
If it is I will certainly mention it to the Doc next time I am in there and see what he thinks.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

It is the only thing that controls my daughters eczema.

She was given it by the dermatology section at the hospital, they said she could use it continuously.

Our GP then refused to renew the prescription after a few months, saying it should not be used continuously, which is correct according to the leaflet.

It is a completely different treatment compared to the various steroid formulations.

May be worth asking if you can at least give it a try.

It is prescription only, and I have not seen it in any of my overseas sources for quite a while, it was about £60 a 30g tube.
G 3 E J S