Second hand prices (domestic items not radio)

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
Sangoma

Second hand prices (domestic items not radio)

Unread post by Sangoma »

Week before last a friend asked me to get him a second hand Kenwood.
I have bought many over the last few years, but the prices have gone through the roof.

Couple of days ago I discovered a worn bush in the sewing machine, not seriously affecting it at the moment, but it will and so needs to be done.
It will take me a few days (only because there are other things to do in the day) to strip it down, make a new bush, put it back together and make all the adjustments.
It is in daily use at the moment, so I thought I would just buy an inexpensive back up machine.
No go, they have doubled in price, trebled in many cases. Wife says it is because everyone is using them at the moment.

Started looking around, and most craft or hobby items have risen sharply in price.

I suppose in general that is a good thing, means more people are doing something constructive with their time, and as the wife says, many of her friends and people she knows are "recycling" unworn clothes, which again is probably good.

All good, unless you need to buy something :)
G 3 E J S
VK5TM

Re: Second hand prices (domestic items not radio)

Unread post by VK5TM »

The one thing I have noticed is more and more sellers on the likes Ebay et al have started charging shipping fee's where previously it was free shipping.
M0XXQ

Unread post by M0XXQ »

Any home-based hobby/entertainment items have doubled in price, my son wanted to buy a steering wheel and gear stick for his computer, Argos originally sold them around £150, now sitting at £295 for the exact same model.
I am all for making money and fair capitalism, but this is pure fecking greed if you ask me - All businesses taking these low-ball moves have been noted, when they start bleating how sales have plummeted and they are on the brink of closing down, I will be watching marking them off my list one by one - The hatred is strong here.
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

From sweet corn to car paint it's all gone up, so as my lab0ur rates because I'm not standing 1 penny :lol:
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

It all started with face masks and hand sanitiser, and just prior to that bog roll of course! :lol:
Now it seems the gloves are off across the make ridiculous profits on anything you can flog spectrum! ;)
G4PPB

Unread post by G4PPB »

You'll probably think that I'm very naive and unsophisticated, but I really don't understand this concept of "supply and demand."

For example, if I had a load of some commodity which, for some reason, suddenly becomes hard to come by and I'm selling them at £10 each,
why do I now have to raise the price?

Thanks to their sudden scarcity I know that I can sell the lot. I was happy with my profit at £10 per item so why the need to raise the price and increase my profit? Surely that's just greed?

You'll probably instantly think, "Well, the wholesaler will increase his price so you'll have to do the same to maintain your profit." But surely, he too can now rest assured that his sales and profit will be guaranteed, so why should he raise his price?

Basically it seems to me that this idea of "supply and demand" is just the rich of this world ensuring that if something becomes scarce, then they'll be the only ones who will be able to obtain it and sod the rest of us!
Audi alteram partem - Hear the other side (of the argument).
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

You can be sure that some one will come along and buy all your £10 items, and sell them for £40, so why shouldn't you be the one to enjoy the increased profits?
G 3 E J S
VK5TM

Unread post by VK5TM »

G4PPB wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:08 pm You'll probably think that I'm very naive and unsophisticated, but I really don't understand this concept of "supply and demand."
It's called Capitalism, why sell it for a tenner when there's enough suckers out there that will buy it at ten times the price.

As already mentioned, there is also greed - so and so has plenty of the folding stuff but wants more more more (I would just like some :( )