Is it time to stock up ?

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
Sangoma

Is it time to stock up ?

Unread post by Sangoma »

We will know in the next week or two how hard the "second wave" is going to hit us.

Supermarkets haven't fully recovered yet (no idea what the given reason is now, would guess it is money, mainly stock the expensive items)

Tey are lifting more restrictions, and every body seems happy, but the results of that easing will show soon, and that will be just about the time the schools reopen.

So if you can't be without it, and you stocked up before, now's the time to rush out and get your baked beans and bog roll :lol:

That will probably be a more timely and more accurate warning than we will get from the government!
G 3 E J S
G6CSL

Re: Is it time to stock up ?

Unread post by G6CSL »

And the Black Death from Mongolia has reached New Mexico.

Oh Joy.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/13 ... atest-news
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

Already stocked up, stock piles of Guinness and Beechams powders! :lol:
Saw me through the last wave, hopefully will see me through the next! ;)
Other than that I won't be panic buying much any time soon.
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

G6CSL wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:20 pm And the Black Death from Mongolia has reached New Mexico.

Oh Joy.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/13 ... atest-news
I read that also, there have been cases in China and a few other countries as well recently.
But according to one news report I read, and something I was unaware of, Bubonic plague has never really gone away since the days of the of the well known historical period Black Death pandemic that wiped out swathes in the middle ages, and does flare up most years in one country or another to whatever extent, its just that these days they do have pretty effective antibiotic treatments for it and so it doesn't usually attract a lot of press.
G6CSL

Unread post by G6CSL »

At the age of 63, it really doesn't scare me too much.
I know that I am probably already circling The Great Plughole of Eternity. :)
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

G0BHD wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:22 am Already stocked up, stock piles of Guinness and Beechams powders! :lol:
Saw me through the last wave, hopefully will see me through the next! ;)
Other than that I won't be panic buying much any time soon.
The Guinness will be fine for the second wave, but maybe for the third wave when the weather is colder, something a bit more warming might be useful.

I haven't seen anyone use Beechams powders for years, though I have seen the capsules.

It seems the supermarkets stock a far smaller selection now, so hopefully they will do better.
If I look at my "frequently bought" items, nearly 40% of them are no longer available, or always out of stock. Moat of them are the cheaper ranges or more economical packing (ie they now stock 1.1kg gammons instead of 1.4kg, at a higher price per kg of course, and roast potatoes in smaller packets, as are many other vegetables. In fact, the prices are the same but the packs smaller, usually by 15-20%, but quite a few by 25%, and rice by 50%.

Again, the only part of our shopping habits that might change are where and how we shop.
G 3 E J S
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

Well if people and this government had handled the whole Corona virus better we wouldn't have this looming.
Soon as they gave the green light on many things they knocked the odds in the viruses favour.
Past caring now let's have herd immunity and take our chances, I don't wanna live in a namby pamby society anymore.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

Bit of a resurrection, sorry about that, didn't want to start a new one.
I was listening to a news report that claimed the Chinese government have been using a rolled out Covid "vaccine" since late June, at the moment it has only been given to certain "key workers" and military personnel, I suppose their version of "field trials", but they are reported to have had good results so far with no apparent serious side effects, and a wider general public roll out of a vaccine mooted soon.
I must stress this information had come from "medical research whistle blowers" it was claimed, not from the Chinese government itself.
So are they well "ahead" of the game compared to the rest of the World, (most elsewhere keep mentioning at least another twelve months for any possible vaccine), or is it a rushed out untried and tested government "experiment", or even misinformation propaganda, they are known for it?
If it really does work and exist as some claim, I wonder if they will freely share it with the rest of us infected?, and will they make their findings/research freely available, or simply market it for profit? ;)
G6CSL

Unread post by G6CSL »

I follow the Asia news too, but it's getting hard to know what the actual situation is in China.
We get closely-controlled Communist Party propaganda on one hand, and a storm of Indian/Falun Gong 'news' on the other.

If they do have a vaccine this soon, you can wonder who they mass-tested it on. The totalitarian CCP regime has few scruples.