Buzz words.

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
G0BHD

Buzz words.

Unread post by G0BHD »

We all know what they are, they are often invented on the back of some situation, and then find themselves ingrained into general day to day "speak".
Here's the ones I truly hope will eventually have their day and then die out never to be heard of again.
"Lock Down"
"The New Normal"
"Hand Sanitizer"
"Deep clean"
"Face Masks"
"R Numbers"
"Flattening curves"
"Social Distancing"
"Pandemic"
"Corona Idiots"
"Self isolation"
"Social bubbles"
"BLM" (Different subject completely but still getting rather annoying now personally speaking.)
"Taking the Knee" (Same subject, but now equally annoying having been milked to death, latest milker.....Lewis Hamilton.)

There are quite a few more, but just getting rid of those will come as a great relief personally.
Sangoma

Re: Buzz words.

Unread post by Sangoma »

And I think a dangerous one is "Racial gaslighting"

When you read the article, it appears to do exactly what they are speaking against.

It is basically squashing any discussion, as it makes out that if you have a different view, you are guilty of it.
G 3 E J S
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

Yes you are quite right, I have witnessed quite a bit of that of late in various about the BLM topic news debates, or radio interviews, etc.
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

I see now that teenage mums are call mothers under 20 :lol:
G 3 E J S
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

Sangoma wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:41 am I see now that teenage mums are call mothers under 20 :lol:
:D
Technically correct of course, but another example of often glossing over the real facts with something deemed more widely PC palatable. ;)
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

G0BHD wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:53 pm
Sangoma wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:41 am I see now that teenage mums are call mothers under 20 :lol:
Technically correct of course, but another example of often glossing over the real facts with something deemed more widely PC palatable. ;)
Yes, of course it is correct, and in fact more correct where the age of consent is less than teen :)

I have nothing against teenage mothers, lets face it, the divorce rate and average number of years of a marriage in the UK doesn't make good reading anyway.
The only thing I could moan about is those that use the harmonics as a benefits entitlement, and as soon as the last one is exiting that, they produce another to carry on claiming. They should not be given flats and houses, but hostel accommodation with shared facilities and shared responsibilities.
I don't see the problem in enjoying what nature gives, but others should not have to pay for their luxuries.
G 3 E J S
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

Sangoma wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:28 pm
G0BHD wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:53 pm
Yes, of course it is correct, and in fact more correct where the age of consent is less than teen :)

I have nothing against teenage mothers, lets face it, the divorce rate and average number of years of a marriage in the UK doesn't make good reading anyway.
The only thing I could moan about is those that use the harmonics as a benefits entitlement, and as soon as the last one is exiting that, they produce another to carry on claiming. They should not be given flats and houses, but hostel accommodation with shared facilities and shared responsibilities.
I don't see the problem in enjoying what nature gives, but others should not have to pay for their luxuries.
Not going to argue with any of that.
Welcome to some of the places I have lived in, in the past!
Knocking kids out like it had gone out of fashion, often from several different fathers, was a career move and lifestyle choice for some "young ladies"! :D
I don't want to be racist, I really don't, nor sound like it, but locally in the areas I lived for a long time, many were often known as "Smarties" families, as there were every colour you could think of in the rainbow among the offspring broods.
I guess the choice was simple for a lot them, "I have a very poor education....what possible job could I get?, working on a check out for peanuts, or milking the child benefits system and getting social housing grants chucked in to boot"......and for many the latter seemed the best future option. (I guess for some it still is).
And that is just telling it as it was where I lived at one time.
I make no judgement against them, to be honest I am just happy to have done whatever I have done my way instead.
Let them get on with it.
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

G0BHD wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:47 pm
I guess the choice was simple for a lot them, "I have a very poor education....what possible job could I get?, working on a check out for peanuts, or milking the child benefits system and getting social housing grants chucked in to boot"......and for many the latter seemed the best future option. (I guess for some it still is).

That is the fact of it, can't blame them, if they play by the rules set down.

Thinking back, if I could get lucky every night and the government pay for any "problems", there isn't much of a decision to make.
G 3 E J S
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

Sangoma wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:59 pm
G0BHD wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:47 pm

That is the fact of it, can't blame them, if they play by the rules set down.

Thinking back, if I could get lucky every night and the government pay for any "problems", there isn't much of a decision to make.
Nah, come what may I would never do the benefits lifestyle.
I just work for living, get paid a rate for a decent days work, and on the odd occasions I have found myself out of work, took it on the chin until work picked up.
I did have a very recent change of heart, and claimed the one and only government income "benefit" in my entire adult life of working, and that was the recent "Covid 19 lock down self employed bailout payment".
Never claimed dole, or housing benefits, nor anything else before.
And I only did that after seeing just how much everyone else on 80% guaranteed furlough were getting for sitting at home, and yet us poor self employed initially were well and truly left out in the cold to fend for ourselves, for quite a while.
And to be honest, for what I got, and the time I was laid off that it was "calculated by them" to cover, it came no where near "80%" of my personal losses over that period. ;)
However I still consider myself lucky, as it is estimated that well over 1 million self employed of various forms, "failed to meet the criteria", and have had jack diddly squat!
Other than Universal credit, how have they managed?
I am told there is a chance of another self employed payout to claim in August, I am undecided on claiming that one, as I have had some work albeit reduced since I have been able to get back to work, and to be honest claiming benefits as never been my way in life, so I will probably ignore that one and not even bother.
VK5TM

Unread post by VK5TM »

Re the "PC palatable" crap, the women of this world should be up in arms - as an example, before this all started, we had actors and actresses.

Go and look at any others and they have all reverted to the male form of the word/description - so - male dominated again.

Now you can't have Chairman or Chairwoman, it has to be Chairperson and I saw somewhere that 'he' and 'she' were unacceptable in daily speech.

Honestly, if I were to fall off my perch tomorrow, it would be a blessing with all this sort of rubbish that is overtaking the world.