Internet based scams.

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
G0BHD

Internet based scams.

Unread post by G0BHD »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53425822
Now I have no doubt this was a clever "hack" by whatever persons unknown, to gain control access to so many "high profile" Twitter accounts and sent false posts seemingly in "their" name.
But....you would have to be completely stupid to buy into this "bargain of a lifetime" offer, and send off your $1000 in the hope of getting $2000 back!
Call me an internet sceptic, but I don't care if it was the Pope or God himself posting a tweet promising that if anyone sends me their money, they will by return get a "double it" windfall, I would simply never believe it....full stop!
Logic would dictate.... if someone, however high profile, requests $1000 from you to simply send you back $2000 cos they are "feeling generous", they may as well just send $1000 to whoever bothers to e-mail them or twitter message them in response to their generous offer! :lol:
Saves on all that bi directional currency transfer faff, and achieves the exactly the same generous cash "hand out" end result! :roll:
And yet, they recon a few hundred thousand dollars, (not fully calculated or appraised yet), may have got sent out before this "scam" was finally shut down!
I guess there really is one born every minute.
VK5TM

Re: Internet based scams.

Unread post by VK5TM »

Believe me, I know somebody that stupid, they do exist.