Water water everywhere......

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
G0BHD

Water water everywhere......

Unread post by G0BHD »

"But not a drop to drink"!
https://news.sky.com/story/water-supply ... s-12024933
Ridiculous really in country like ours, where we have more than our fair share rain virtually year round from the skies above.
Water companies should be fined through the teeth for their failures in maintaining their supply infrastructure, as a lack of water certainly isn't in this country at least, a result of any sheer lack of annual downpour water, just pee poorly maintained pipe work and storage infrastructure, tasked with delivering lots of it! :roll:
We are hardly the Sahara or other desert areas of the World!
They take your water rates every year, and charge through the nose if you are on a meter like here, but often put little of their profits back into sorting out "their" supply infrastructure leaks.
Even to the point of fobbing off previously their own install concern pipe work on many households, now saying "anything that crosses your house boundary we are giving to you, (whereas previously you were only responsible from the incoming supply building stop tap), but from now on its your responsibility".....well thank a bunch guys! :D
I had an argument with our water supplier over this, their bumph was telling me what I was now responsible for, it was all pipe work on my property, or after any water meter if one was fitted.
I made the fatal mistake of telling them my water meter was actually inside the house, fitted just before "my" stop tap.
Well actually it was inbetween two stop taps, one before, one after.
A few weeks later we got a letter saying "water engineers would be arriving on whatever date" to replace our old water meter for a modern up to date one that could be read remotely if necessary.
They did just that, removed the old one in the house, and fitted one instead at the mains supply stop tap below the pavement in the street! :lol:
Thus rendering all their old pipe work from there onwards from the point it enters my building boundary and beyond now my responsibility! ;)
Crafty bar stewards! :roll:
Sangoma

Re: Water water everywhere......

Unread post by Sangoma »

I think the problem here is not the amount of water that fall from the sky, but the storage capacity to hold that water until it is needed.

Curbing the losses would help, and also reduce costs, as that lost water has already been treated.
G 3 E J S
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

I agree entirely, all they are currently doing is pouring one fifth of all treated and drinkable water at whatever expense it cost to store treat and get it drinkable , straight back into the drains or general ground! ;)
It's all well and good putting up your water rates prices, or restricting water use, but an "accepted seemingly" daily one fifth loss in output supply, is anything but acceptable in real terms.
I wonder if the electricity or gas supply companies would be happy with one fifth of their total output "leaking away" in whatever short circuits and dodgy insulators or pipe line leaks?
I doubt it somehow,
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

I've got a idea stop all world aid get Britain sorted.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

The problem with that is they are "private water companies", you can give them a huge chunk of whatever money you have saved not giving it to the third World, but how well, and where they spend it, is still down to them as a company! ;)
Example, end of our street, where it meets the downhill main road that runs to the main Bridgnorth to Kidderminster road.
We had a huge water leak develop right on the corner of our street.
It was oozing up out of the tarmac, and running down the gutter like a stream to the nearest drain where it disappeared again into the waste water system, and was like that for 9 months before anyone even came to "look at it", let alone fix it, despite me personally reporting it several times over that period, and I know many of my neighbours did also!
By the time a team turned out to "fix it", it was nearer 10 months from initial reports, and the road had started to subside into a large depression, with pot holes everywhere, as the underneath sub structure had been washed away!
A month or more of the time it was "left" unlooked at, was in mid winter as it happened, and the surface of the road froze like a bleeding skating rink, and getting up the hill in your vehicle became a very hit and miss experience.
Net result, not only the leak needed fixing, now the highway also need fixing, and new ballast in the ground and a complete resurface for about 15 meters.
They simply didn't seem interested, no matter how many times you phoned the "leaks hotline", and how many gallons of "clean drinking water" went down the drain in that time? :roll:
Nah they need fining through the teeth by the government for none maintenance of their supply systems, just chucking money at them will have no guarantee that they will spend it in the right areas!
By the way our "water supply authority" is Severn Trent, and they do have a woeful record on sorting out leaks all over the county. ;)
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

It's cheaper to waste the water than to fix the leak.

Once again, just down to money.

Though just before lockdown there was a major leak just down the road, and they were here within two days, but maybe they were losing pressure so it affected supply, which would be a different issue and have to be fixed.
G 3 E J S
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

Sangoma wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:46 am It's cheaper to waste the water than to fix the leak.

Once again, just down to money.

Though just before lockdown there was a major leak just down the road, and they were here within two days, but maybe they were losing pressure so it affected supply, which would be a different issue and have to be fixed.
How is it cheaper to simply leave it?
Who picked up the bill for repairing the damaged road then, after they eventually fixed the major leak?
It was a leak in "their" pipework infrastructure cause the damage to the highway, which no doubt someone else in highways maintenance had to fix, do they not "pass on the bill", as it was not down to them, it was as a result of a third parties caused damage?
So would Severn Trent not eventually have to pay for it anyway?
I still think it would have been cheaper to simply repair the damn leak as and when first reported, unless some loophole means they are not responsible for any damage their leaking infrastructure has done?
I can only assume it wasn't Severn Trent ended up paying for the road to be repaired, if it's cheaper for them to simply leave it? :roll:
A "drip" it was not! :D
As it happens we did notice a loss in water pressure over that time, most notable in the shower, where you had to readjust the temp setting, as the reduced flow meant on the old one it was rather hot now! ;)
None of that made any difference when reported in their seemingly lack of interest response!
But then again..... "Its just water".....if it was leaking nasty chemicals or gas, I am sure a hazmat team would be all over it like a bad rash in short order.
Anybody claiming we as a country are short of water, is taking the short cut piss, we are anything but short of water, if we simply didn't pour so much of it straight down the drain!
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

Money down the drain springs to mind, liquid gold did anyone have one of those accounts back in the day :D
Shall I get me coat.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

G0BHD wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:49 am
Anybody claiming we as a country are short of water, is taking the short cut piss, we are anything but short of water, if we simply didn't pour so much of it straight down the drain!
Even if we cut out all the waste, it would be very easy for us to become short of water.

I guess if you are counting what falls fro the sky compared to what we use, we are not short, but as we sometimes have long spell without it falling from the sky, we need somewhere to store what has fallen.
As we do not have sufficient storage, we become effectively short of water at times.

We need to do more than stop waste to prevent shortages due to lack of storage, it would not balance out now, and as the population grows, it will only get worse.

And add to that the ability to move it round the country in huge amounts, which we do not have either in most areas.
G 3 E J S