Is it time to end the BBC

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
Sangoma

Is it time to end the BBC

Unread post by Sangoma »

I think it has had its day, and there in no place for it in today's world.
Let them compete the same way as every one else.
G 3 E J S
G0BHD

Re: Is it time to end the BBC

Unread post by G0BHD »

Well I just see the re-charging of the over 75's a full TV licence fee as a huge kick in the teeth to many folks who lets face it have really in the main shouldered the bulk of the Covid lock down restrictions in their own "shut away for their own good" way of late, with little else to look forward to but a telly to gaze at all day!
And to quote them, the over 75's, as a "loss of income" when in reality many folks far younger country wide watch the telly without a damn licence anyway, is just "we need the cash" bull crap!

They see them simply as an easily milked sat at home all day source of "saved a bit for my retirement" income, and nothing more!
Shame on the BBC, and if allowing them to continue with their free licence really meant "cuts to services" as they threaten, then so be it, just watch the "independents" pick up the slack! ;)
They are an outdated. and overrated institution, once hailed as the bastions of current news truth, but in reality these days full of as much speculation and media hype as any of the alternative independents.
They should chuck their hat in the ring, and compete in the very same dog eat dog commercial World the independents do, and see just how successful and popular they are then, without that guaranteed "milked from the captive audience licence payer slaves" cash rolling in! ;)
My guess?, they would fall flat on their smug "British Broadcasting" faces!
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

I guess that means you think it is time to end the BBC :)
G 3 E J S
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

I don't call for them to simply be ended as a broadcaster, I just think it's about time they "stood on their own fiscal feet", and not on all the other forced by an outdated licence fee leglislation "tax payers" feet! ;)
And that is what it is, a general TV viewers forced "tax"!
I would not like to see them completely disappear, they are one of the forerunners of broadcast media in this and many other countries come to that, but I would like them to merely "fend for themselves" as all the other independents have to do in the big bad World of modern day TV/radio entertainment.
At that point they would truly discover just how good their programming, they often claim is "the best", actually is.
If it remains just as popular, then their claims would be justified, if it wanes somewhat, then it obviously isn't what they crack it up to be!
But at the moment that doesn't matter to them one way or the other, as their income is guaranteed via the licence fee whatever their true content amounts to.
Then you, as a viewer, would have the simple choice to either buy into them, or not buy into them, simple as that.
So in a nutshell, yes I agree with your post! ;)
I had a conversation with the old guy next door, he is 94 years young, Old Ken, a diamond of a bloke who has no doubt chipped his two pennies worth in over the years, and he was saying he didn't think he would qualify for the now restricted to certain pension benefits free licence for over 75's, and all he does these days is watch Freeview TV, he ain't physically capable of anything else.
I said to him at the time, and I really meant it, "I will pay for your damn TV licence if they ever come to your door mate, but whatever you do tell them to do one if they come knocking, and then have a word with me!"
If he ain't "paid in" his fair share of licence contributions over the years by now, who has? :roll:
Leeches, the whole licence system.
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

Yes, I didn't make it clear what I meant, I meant end it as it is now.

Have said before either subscription or compete on the market with everyone else.

The way they operate now has no place in today's world.

We pay a TV licence because my daughter watches the news.

To my mind, live news is not worth watching, it repeats at short intervals, it's biased, and covers very little of what is going on in the world, and what it does cover is in very little detail, apart from things like the American elections, which I have yet to meet some one who wants to watch that, but we all have to endure it.

We get no entertainment from TV, it all comes from Netflix or similar.

The only thing I have ever watched live is the F!, but now with the Americanisation, it has become a spectacle not a sport..(though I must say BBC did a great job of the F1 when they had it)
G 3 E J S
M0HJO

Unread post by M0HJO »

Did the RSGB & BBC go to the same school???? :roll:
Glad to be Here.
RNARS
RSGB
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

Yes my mother-in-law who has never worked a day in her life will keep it my dad who's worked all his life won't work that out.
This country doesn't reward the hard workers it looks after the lazy always has always will.
Sorry if the likes of my dad pays all should pay.
I don't pay because it's trash.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
G6CSL

Unread post by G6CSL »

Now they have 'cancelled' Andrew Neil ... probably the only true 'Inquisitor General' the BBC had left.

Yes, it's got to go. It is the nearest thing we have to State Media, but it has been taken over by one strain of politics.

Don't get me wrong ... I would be just as angry if it was the Tory Party's Mouthpiece. So i'm not just pushing my own politics.
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

G6CSL wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:23 pm Now they have 'cancelled' Andrew Neil ... probably the only true 'Inquisitor General' the BBC had left.

Yes, it's got to go. It is the nearest thing we have to State Media, but it has been taken over by one strain of politics.

Don't get me wrong ... I would be just as angry if it was the Tory Party's Mouthpiece. So i'm not just pushing my own politics.
They have a new cause to champion now....
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53427197
Not obvious from that news article that they are, but listening to talk radio today, plenty of debate over the issue, with the totally "unbiased"BBC presenters mainly championing her chance to return and human rights, and quoting "democracy" and all of that, and at the same time giving short shrift to any of those callers who rang in and said she should be left out there to rot! ;)
Yes well....tell that to the relatives of the ones beheaded live on video, and streamed to the World by her "friends" ISIS, that SHE chose to go and join, with their large barbaric knives!
That said.....
My bet?....she is eventually coming "home" to a free house and benefits somewhere near one of us, any time soon! :roll:
They do like their "causes".
On Andrew Neil...yes I agree, one of the few who occasionally had the balls on there to tell it like it is, and corporation be damned! ;)
G6CSL

Unread post by G6CSL »

I wondered how long it would take the MSM to become her champions. She is not a British national, so how come a British legal judgement applies to her?

She's even trying to look English now ... jeans, T-shirt and a sun-hat.

As for the BBC ... if the Lab*ur Party want their own TV channel, then let them pay for it, not us.