The Future of Amateur Radio Clubs

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
M3PIE

The Future of Amateur Radio Clubs

Unread post by M3PIE »

[bThe July 4 edition of the Saturday night DX Commander show featured a discussion on the Future of Ham Radio Clubs

The participants discussed the future of Ham Radio Clubs and touched on the subject of how easy - or difficult it SHOULD be to achieve an amateur radio licence.

Taking part in the discussion were:
Ian G0CNN
Tim G5TM
Gil F4WBY
Mike M0MSN
Carl 2E0EZT
Callum M0MCX
Gary M0TIG
Roly ZL1BQD
][/b]

https://youtu.be/JW8M5uK4us0
M0VMT

Re: The Future of Amateur Radio Clubs

Unread post by M0VMT »

Next will be wingway of manchester in that lot :lol:
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

I am waiting for the "DX commander....Future of amateur radio!" online posted one, as worrying about local radio clubs will have no real meaning when it all eventually goes licence free deregulated tits up! ;)
Think it will never happen?
Nobody predicted the often shambles that we have today, let alone what we will end up with come tomorrow. :roll:
I am glad I caught the tail end of the "older days", when as a hobby it still carried a modicum of technical respect within the rest of society.
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

Just watched it all.... they seem happy to give a license away with a form signed for free providing it's 10 watts because of the barriers :? God help us.
Something-From-Nothing-title-logo-300x147.jpg
Something-From-Nothing-title-logo-300x147.jpg (23.88 KiB) Viewed 267 times
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

Something from nothing?...about sums it up a treat!, if only because there is virtually nothing put into acquiring it in the first place, in true nuts and bolts reality! ;)
People can't even be arsed to go out to do a course anymore, even if one existed, they seem to think it's all got to be click the box presented before them on a God damn computer screen.
They will be wanting all driving licences issued completely that way soon, done at home on a virtual driving screen, that is if some damn robot hasn't taken over the wheel completely of course.
When I did my RAE, I had to attend college, at the very same time as juggling a four shift system job in an Iron and Steel factory, even had to miss the odd evening session when somebody would not swap their shift with me, and it wasn't exactly right on the door step either.
Today?....well, we all know what today amounts to in the way of effort.
I gave up a long time ago.
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

My licsenses probably took around 42 sessions at 2 hrs a time so 84hrs plus travelling so 126 hrs give or take and you sit and listen to the above about barriers.
It's a shame the Hobby is valued so low as in happy to give away a license by some these days and I'm beginning to think after watching that lot we are our own worst enemy.
Could be time to sell the kit while it still has a bit of value and move on, anymore fook wittery in this hobby and I'm moving on.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
M3PIE

Unread post by M3PIE »

Well chaps,
I also did my RAE when I had to attend night school at the same time as juggling a three shift system job in an Weaving Mill
However things seem to have left the old days behind.
the new online will kill some clubs off, though i have been a member of our local club until last year. left because nothing was happening apart from training and exams. few coming and those that were are clicky and sometime look down their noses at FL holders.
Mark..
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

Similar at my old club the older guys left at the time and all the technical knowledge went with them and you know why they left well because they were putting tons of FL people through that had one goal getting a FL and leaving our club.
All the committee were bothered about was the course money and subs, it turned out that quick fix for cash ripped our club apart and I've seen this in so many clubs and now the RSGB tactics seem to be a spin off from the ideology I've witnessed.
I'm all for more numbers but the desperation is plain to see, I don't know why some people enter into ham radio if they think it has barriers when clearly it's a technical self learning hobby it's all bewildering to me and some people just can't be arsed to put a little effort in these days which is sad.
Future their isn't one.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS