Brush Up Your Cantonese

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
G6CSL

Brush Up Your Cantonese

Unread post by G6CSL »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53246899

OK. But where do you put three million Hong Kong people?

Perhaps we could just let them build themselves a new Hong Kong ... but where?
M0XXQ

Re: Brush Up Your Cantonese

Unread post by M0XXQ »

G6CSL wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:24 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53246899

OK. But where do you put three million Hong Kong people?

Perhaps we could just let them build themselves a new Hong Kong ... but where?
Little Hong Kong, Scotland has plenty of space. :D
Personally I think what the government is doing is commendable as these people are genuinely fleeing tyranny, however I don't think all 3 million should land on our shores and possibly look to share the load with our European neighbours.
G6CSL

Unread post by G6CSL »

Scotland?
I didn't realize you had a cruel streak.

I was thinking more like North Kent. :)
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

Round up all the numerous illegals, and there are droves of them, ship out the Eastern European one step up from a Gypo mob, sink the rubber boats arriving daily across the channel, and there is plenty of room for "British citizenship holding" currently Hong Kong resident folks, who are basically hard working in the main, and hardly surprisingly do not welcome the prospect of Chinese government totalitarian clamp downs, (as only the Chinese can do).
Often very well educated, and quite a lot not short of a bob or two!
I would personally take three million of those "Hong Kong based British citizens" any day, over three million assorted Afghans, Syrians, Nigerians, Libyans, Eastern Europeans, Iranians, Iraqi's and all the other third World asylum seekers we are constantly bombarded with.
I bet there will not be many of them after their arrival and "welcome", come here intent on turning into a "terrorist" and knife folk to death in the streets, or plan bomb attacks!
Just how I see it!
If that offends sensibilities, I make no apology.
G6CSL

Unread post by G6CSL »

Apologies first to Chris G6CSL, somehow I don't know how, when editing my post I inadvertently deleted your post i was answering! :?:
In a nutshell it basically read that....
"I quite like the idea of them building their own City here, might be somewhere interesting to visit"
Paraphrased no doubt terribly.

They don't need to build their own City, if they infiltrate London enough in numbers, they might just turn that place around, and it can become the next "Hong Kong", bastion of fiscal enterprise.
Which of course it always has been historically, but is slowly being turned into a rat infested hell hole in many places.
If the idea of London doesn't take your fancy, lets move the "new Capitol" of the post EU independent Britain, somewhere else, and leave them to just "build a wall" around themselves! ;)
I have heard people on the news slating the 99 year British Rule of Hong Kong, yet had it never been taken over, it would have never have become the global fiscal success it eventually did.
Also equally interesting that during the height of the anti Chinese state political intervention protests, the Union Jack was one of the many protester banners flown!
The Chinese re-inherited, by terms of agreement default, a ready made "money spinner", but not happy with that, they also want to rule it with the "party iron fist", left to them for the previous 99 years, it would still be a back water subservient offshore island.
You can imagine why droves who currently hold British Citizenship want to leave and come here.
The prospect is that "any" dissent, or anti government protest" might well lead to "life imprisonment" instantly, and life imprisonment Chinese style, is quite different to ours!
We are talking a regime that can manipulate the "sudden disappearance" of many folks deemed anti "party", never to be heard of again!
Full stop.
Including recent outspoken medical experts.
A regime that rounds up ethnic Uighurs, and puts them in "re-education" camps, so they can all learn how to "clap happy for the party", and many tales within them of forced female sterilizations, as well as numerous deaths, and we wonder why some would jump at the chance to come here?
And meanwhile, the "West", happily carries on buying their cheap but must have electronic crap!
BLM activists protest about historical black "slavery", and we all cheer, clap and take a knee, the Chinese do it on a grand scale, and yet we all still buy their produce in droves!
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

No more madness please we are full.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
G6CSL

Unread post by G6CSL »

Not much else we can do really. They hold UK passports and are being swallowed by a dictatorship. We have been here before.

Fingers crossed that the Aussies and Canadians step up to the plate too. I wouldn't count on our European 'friends' to lift a finger.
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

To be honest I can't imagine all three million of them will be rushing to jump on planes bound for blighty, many will will choose other areas of the World to relocate to, should it come to that get out for your own safety situation.
I think places like Taiwan might see a reasonable influx as well, and being another "distance themselves from Chinese authoritarian regime" places historically, would probably welcome them with open arms.
They do have a lot to offer in the way of skills, good work ethics, good education, etc.
They are not your usual rag tag assortment of asylum seeking "rubber boat" people.
I truly have no problem with how ever many decided to come here.
VK5TM

Unread post by VK5TM »

The Australian Talking Heads were on tonights news making all the appropriate noises about letting them in.
G6CSL

Unread post by G6CSL »

The problem with Taiwan is that it might be a 'temporary solution' if China continues to ramp-up the aggression. Also, it's quite densely populated already and the Hongkongers speak the 'wrong' Chinese.

A good first step would be for the west to fully recognise Taiwan as a nation. A good second step would be to embargo the Chinese back to pulling rice out of mud.