Online foundation exam

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
Darrenionn

Online foundation exam

Unread post by Darrenionn »

Hi, I’m a newbie where amateur radio is concerned.
I took my online exam on Saturday night. And failed !
17/26
Any one else took online exam ?
What was your thoughts about the questions ?
I read the foundation book cover to cover 4-5 times. I took the mock exams paper one and two and passed both. I examined the syllabus and thought I was ready, but some of the questions ??? Wow unbelievably difficult. Not only was the layout different to the mocks, I had a question about troposphere ! I have never read about it and can’t find it in the Foundation book either. I feel robbed !
The invigilator even commented that I wasn’t the first candidate to question the questions on the exam.
What are your thoughts ?
M0VMT

Re: Online foundation exam

Unread post by M0VMT »

My thoughts are don't give up....put the fail behind you restudy and rebook you'll crack it.
In my experience the mocks can give a false sense of security don't rely on them.
M0HJO who is a admin on here and does the FL course should be along soon and maybe give you some good pointers.
Don't give in!
Mark
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
Darrenionn

I will be honest, I really felt like throwing the towel in.
I have been shielding re Covid and are in the extremely vulnerable category (severe asthma and COPD)so having all the time off since March and studying every day reading etc and then looking at the questions on the exam and thinking what the hell ??
These weren’t on the mocks or syllabus. I sent an email to voice my concern, and to be honest, even if I did pass I think I would still have sent the email.
Some of the questions honestly were just pot luck as any of the answers would seem right.
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

Darren I don't know what the FL involves these days if I'm honest and it has been changed recently.
Get back on it Darren the hobby has loads to offer if you like radio and electronics etc, I bet you'll pass next time around.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
gw7unv

Unread post by gw7unv »

Did they give you any feedback on where you were failing..?
The club exams we, the exam secretaries, had to give feedback papers..

Evan
M0HJO

Unread post by M0HJO »

M0VMT wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:11 pm My thoughts are don't give up....put the fail behind you restudy and rebook you'll crack it.
In my experience the mocks can give a false sense of security don't rely on them.
M0HJO who is a admin on here and does the FL course should be along soon and maybe give you some good pointers.
Don't give in!
Mark
Agree.

Do what your doing, read the book for 30min max, put it down for an 1 hour, come back, do 30min etc.

Keep doing the online tests, find as many different ones as you can.

Alan Betts did a book called "Exam Secrets" that's worth a read.

Keep going, keep trying, you will get there.

I would also think soon, exam venues will be back up and running, may be more to your liking.

John.
Glad to be Here.
RNARS
RSGB
Darrenionn

Yeah John I may just do that re club. I tried to join one just as lockdown started but admin said it was pointless joining at the moment in time. Hence the online route.
I felt sorry for the invigilator, the fact that she had so many other candidates saying that the online test differs from anything that the RSGB put out as mocks or as a syllabus. A lot of the answers were common sense, but still a few in there that made you think it could have been two answers.
One of the questions were that you suspect that you are talking to an unlicensed amateur. What would you do?
A stop talking at the next over
B challenge him to justify him being on a frequency
C report him
D stop talking to him

Think I put D but was wrong ??
The question says suspect so I don’t know what they want, again find that in the foundation book or syllabus.
I think I just had a batch of bad questions to be honest.
Darrenionn

I will see if anyone responds to my email I sent them, and if I get no joy I will call them and see if I can get a breakdown of the questions and answers I submitted and see if it makes any sense.
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

Stupid question anyway, I caught someone using a G0 only because I knew him and you wouldn't have known he was so good but I did.
Also I think I would have marked D!
Also not everyone registers on the usual sites, and in real life I would probably challenge them.
Anyway it's not our job to keep the bands clear of pirates that belongs to ofcon but that's another debate for another day Darren.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
G0BHD

Unread post by G0BHD »

M0VMT wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:02 pm Stupid question anyway, I caught someone using a G0 only because I knew him and you wouldn't have known he was so good but I did.
Also I think I would have marked D!
Also not everyone registers on the usual sites, and in real life I would probably challenge them.
Anyway it's not our job to keep the bands clear of pirates that belongs to ofcon but that's another debate for another day Darren.
Exactly Mark, it was a stupid question!
In the real World, you may do one or all of the suggestions given as pick "the right answer".
Some may challenge, some may simply walk away and stop replying, some if they felt the pirate intrusion warranted it might even report it to whatever authorities.
Most would challenge probably, or at least question, but some might simply spin the dial and let them get on with it.
As you rightly say "policing" is ultimately down the the authorities, if a heads up from a licensed amateur helps them all well and fine, but often it is seemingly just ignored anyway! ;)
I have encountered many pirates, the easiest ones to spot are the ones milking old style pinched call signs, original holder probably even SK today, and it doesn't take long to suss that their apparent knowledge, operating practices, and various modern day terms used in radio conversation, and seeming experience, doesn't come close to the call signs historical time in the hobby! ;)
When you think about it, expecting a brand new into the hobby person, to be able to judge the multitude of call signs floating around these day's and decide who is "on air" legit or not in their early day's of simply dipping their feet for the first time, is expecting a bit much! :roll:
That insight comes with experience, you have to get the experience first! ;)