Rare sight

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
Sangoma

Rare sight

Unread post by Sangoma »

Vampire just flew over, don't know from where or where to, though he turned towards Birmingham approach.
G 3 E J S
M0XXQ

Re: Rare sight

Unread post by M0XXQ »

Sangoma wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:18 pm Vampire just flew over, don't know from where or where to, though he turned towards Birmingham approach.
Early Turbojet? I think these were circa 1945?
G6CSL

Unread post by G6CSL »

Good spot.
Bloody long time since I've seen one of those airborne.
vampire.jpg
vampire.jpg (5.28 KiB) Viewed 269 times
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

Reminds me of the mosquito the Germans feared during WW2, fighter bomber tally ho bandits at 1 o'clock.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
MM0TFU

Unread post by MM0TFU »

Haven't seen one of those flying in a very long time. When I was a kid, we used to get treated to an almost daily fly-past of a variety of the RAF and FAA's flying inventory, and I remember seeing the Vamp, amongst a whole host of others. They were often flying at low-level (sometimes VERY low-level) over the sea between where I lived and the Kintyre peninsula.

My favourite was always watching the Vulcans flying in a 3 ship formation, but the EE Lightnings were pretty awesome too, as well as the FAA's Buccaneers, who were usually so low that everyone said 'Buccan'hell' as they screamed over, and of course the phabulous Phantoms.

Also used to see lots of American aircraft coming and going from RAF Macrihanish, and heard many a 'story' of the goings-on at that establishment.

Very rarely see anything other than Transport aircraft these days.
Cheers,
Iain.

Illegitimi non carborundum
VK5TM

Unread post by VK5TM »

I (as a youngster :shock: ) used to live in West Wickham in the early 60's and we would have all sorts flying over from Biggin Hill.

Everything from Spitfires to Vulcans (and they were usually low and loud over our house on the outbound trip).