All lives matter

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
G6CSL

Re: All lives matter

Unread post by G6CSL »

I'm still waiting for some of that 'white privilege' to filter down to me. I've been white for 63 years now, and no sign of it yet.

My ancestors possibly trudged around the grim streets of Liverpool and Manchester to be faced with signs saying "No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish", but there were no laws about that.
G0BHD

Re: All lives matter

Unread post by G0BHD »

G6CSL wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:05 am I'm still waiting for some of that 'white privilege' to filter down to me. I've been white for 63 years now, and no sign of it yet.

My ancestors possibly trudged around the grim streets of Liverpool and Manchester to be faced with signs saying "No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish", but there were no laws about that.
:D
Try going through life with long hair, a hippy "ish" style of dress, and a heavy Black Country accent! :lol:
You are instantly judged as "thick" the minute you open your mouth! :D
It's a struggle trying to convince folks that just because to pronounce "You" as "Yow", or whatever, does not mean you only have a modicum of a grasp of intelligence! ;)
I worked at an hotel up in the Lakes, it was owned by a retired Dutch couple, both had been "high flyers" in their time, before buying the hotel, he was an ex chief executive of a petroleum company, she was previously an ex wife of some top Dutch banker in Hong Kong .
They had several kids between them, five boys, two girls, all of them had been to the very top schools, and the two girls to Swiss "finishing" schools to boot.
Some of them would visit yearly towards Christmas, and often would "mix with the staff", late at night having a few beers, and sitting around chatting, (the two daughters were real lookers by the way, think Britt Ekland look alikes in her younger hay day! :D ).
One evening we were debating various aspects throughout history, one of the subjects I love history, and the youngest daughter, Anneka 21, a multi language linguist/translator at the Bank of China based in Hong Kong, said to me.... "You seem remarkably intelligent and well read for someone from YOUR background, if you you don't mind me saying?"
My reply was very simple and short...."Thank you, I was thinking exactly the same!" ;)
Actually I was really thinking....."I wouldn't say no to a slice of that cake!" :lol: