Foundation license online.

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
M0VMT

Foundation license online.

Unread post by M0VMT »

Well it is now official you can sit the 10 watt level entry license in the UK at home due to the corona virus shutting clubs/test centres down.
I am undecided if this is a good move or bad one and only time will tell I guess, but it seems no practical is involved and no on air guidance given on how to relax and make a qso in a orderly fashion so please excuse any M7 if they say you are 6 pound or I can hear you loud and proud good buddy.
I think the hands on club training face to face in this hobby is important but it seems the RSGB have thrown this to the wall to help people that want to get the FL why???? whats a few months to wait.
Here is a link for those who wish to find out more
https://rsgb.org/main/blog/news/gb2rs/h ... -pandemic/

I will do my bit to help out any M7 the RSGB have thrown to the lions with this idea as that is what I have always believed in helping each other but if hf/vhf becomes awash with head bangers you can forget ofcom helping to clean up the nuclear spill the RSGB may have caused.
At my club you were interrogated as to what you intended and who you were :lol: now the music bad mouth can jump online with a web cam and hey presto really mess things up.....we shall see.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
M0VMT

Re: Foundation licsense online.

Unread post by M0VMT »

Well I've had a month to mull all this through and I've come to the conclusion the rsgb talk utter crap(nothing new) and the rsgb are out to destroy the radio club scene.
My opinion of course but I think the FL online will do more damage than good, only the other day I was on 80 and I heard a m7 saying alright buddy your kicking me 9quid buddy buddy buddy who gave him the on air guidance the book?
Then I read a question online from a m7 can I hook up my vhf linear to my hf radio, who taught him this the book and what's he doing with a vhf linear when he's allowed 10watts max :roll:
It's not going too well for some new chaps is it and if the rsgb with their arse about brainwave idea think it is then theirs no hope for amateur radio in this country.
I stand by what I said I will help anyone if I can but this online exam gets a thumbs down from me it's inadequate and makes the hobby look no better than cb radio now.
Ofcom may as well sell a license at the post office now it's that worthless.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
2E0DQQ

Re: Foundation licsense online.

Unread post by 2E0DQQ »

I do find it incredible that the advanced ticket wasn't also offered in online format for the exam.

Poeple will say that this is down to the numbers. How do they know? Has anyone actually done a survey on this? I don't think so.

I've been trying (and failing MISERABLY!) to get a date or at the very least plan ahead on when I can sit the advanced level since Jan this year. No clubs doing it close by and the closest was over 85 miles away - which was then cancelled because of lockdown!?? I've done as much as I can - studied, done the mock exams and passed every single time. What more can I do?

Offering the Foundation and Intermediate only is a real kick in the balls to people that have put in the time, effort and expense so far. Some will say that this is down to money as the rationale begind this and I tend to agree. Foundation and Intermediate folks are in most cases just starting out and make easy pickings for the dealers - and best of luck to the dealers but it really boils my piss that I cannot progress at the moment because of lockdown.
M0VMT

Re: Foundation license online.

Unread post by M0VMT »

I said on anotherther site that the 2Es should have been first because all their practicals were done Stuart.
The foundation should have been the last one to be put online but the rsgb always know better, that's why I cancelled my membership.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
M0HJO

Re: Foundation license online.

Unread post by M0HJO »

Totally agree with what Stu and Mark have said, I also spoke about it on another forum, but the RSGB fan boys said we were wrong in our assumptions :roll:

The boys who have stayed and done the distance have been betrayed by the RSGB, end of.
Glad to be Here.
RNARS
RSGB