Newark hamfest

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
M0VMT

Newark hamfest

Unread post by M0VMT »

Anyone gone this year? I went last year and it was ok I met up with a few friends and came away with a new radio but this year I didn't bother as Rob and John the sites other admin were not attending and if I am honest I don't really need anything.
I have looked at the videos on YouTube and it is virtually the same as last year apart from Kenwood not attending which in my opinion shows how much they are bothered about amateur radio in the UK.
I don't see these hamfests improving here in the UK and it's time in my opinion Newark hamfest was moved, when you look at the likes of Dayton it makes ours look like a few markets stalls :lol:
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
VK5TM

Re: Newark hamfest

Unread post by VK5TM »

Kenwood will probably pull out of the UK soon, they have just recently here in Oz.

Wouldn't be surprised if they pulled out of Amateur Radio altogether in the not too distant future.
G0DJA

Unread post by G0DJA »

I didn't go this year, but I've not been to any rallies for a number of years now.

Like Mark, I couldn't think of anything that I needed and I'm only just setting back up what I already have...

A few years ago I went to the Hamvention in Ohio and Friedrichshafen. As much for the holiday as going to the rally. They also benefit from being international events and having a good programme of talks and demonstrations, which means that you are not eternally wandering up and down the tables of things for sale. I used to enjoy the G-QRP Convention for the same reason, there were interesting talks given and the Microwave Round tables were similar. Finningley isn't far from me, so I may go and see what's going on there next year.
Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

That's my sentiments as well regards Kenwood Terry which would be a shame.
Dave Finningley is a good club but recently though it has shrunk due to some political hoo haa.....I was there 2 years ago considering joining but I didn't bother long story.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
G0DJA

Unread post by G0DJA »

I was just thinking of going to the Microwave round table that they host each year. They used to have some interesting speakers and the UKuG usually set up an antenna testing range on the tarmac area outside. I can hear their 10GHz beacon from here, either off reflections from houses across from me, pointing the opposite direction from where the club is in relation to me, or via rain scatter. I also hear the Leicester 10GHz beacon via rain scatter as well, so the last few days has been good for 10GHz signals. :lol:
Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)
M0HJO

Unread post by M0HJO »

I never made it this year due to an RTA a week before!

I was looking forward to it, hotel booked the lot!!
I didn't need anything, but wanted a long weekend, on the beer!!

Next year and Blackpool!!

John HJO
Glad to be Here.
RNARS
RSGB
M0XXQ

Unread post by M0XXQ »

I was getting married so had to dodge this one lads, next year for sure - Even just for the craic and beer! :D