New Licence ?

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
2E0SOF silent key

New Licence ?

Unread post by 2E0SOF silent key »

Dont know if this is true or not ? but I have heard that a new licence for foundation is going to be brought into play within the year. The change will be As a new foundation licence holder will only be able to use VHF and UHF on limited power of 3W . So if this is fact = Does this mean that Stations that now hold a current Foundation licence will loose HF and have to just use VHF/UHF on 3W ? I have my ears to the ground and will post any further info on this as and when I hear any news. I think that the RSGB and Ofcom feel that at this time no one is using VHF/UHF as it should be used as its empty most of the time. Well if this is the case there will be a lot more using VHF/UHF . Then if a Foundation needs to use HF its a case of going for the Intermediate licence to do so.
IN RADIO YOU HAVE TWO TOOLS - SOUND AND SILENCE.
M0XXQ

Re: New Licence ?

Unread post by M0XXQ »

Interesting news, it will go down like a lead balloon with some stations but it could re-ignite the fires on the high bands.
Do keep us posted.

Cheers

Rob.
M0HJO

Unread post by M0HJO »

Not heard anything here.

Will be interesting if it does happen!!

John.
Glad to be Here.
RNARS
RSGB
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

I've seen something about more content being added to the foundation and more to the intermediate....A step forward would be the foundation rolled into the intermediate in my opinion.
Their was talk about another licence level being added to the 3 tier but the would be pointless.
The hobby doesn't need more pointless levels.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
2E0SOF silent key

Unread post by 2E0SOF silent key »

I heard it from a lad who is taking his exam in the next couple of weeks .
Yes there are new aditions to the Foundation syl on its way in the next month or so ... but he also told me about the new licence and he was told it would benefit him if he took his exam as of now. I also have listened to a discussion about the need for a new licence and what advantage this would have, along with is it needed and the outcome was that 80% said they would like to see the new licence start. I would like to know how they are going to make this work? will we have a four tier licence to confuse the Int stations even more hi. are will the licences merge together as in 1) Foundation = VHF/UHF 3W . 2) Intermediate = 50W VHF/UHF/HF . 3) Full Licence 400W ALL BANDS. if this is so will the Foundation Licence of Now as in those that have had there Foundation a good number of years now loose the priv of HF and have to move to the VHF/UHF 3W - if so there are going to be a lot of peed of Foundation licence holders . Or will they = add the new Foundation and keep it as Foundation and then the now foundation holders be moved to Intermediate class and the now Intermediate licence holders be moved to full licence class ? I can see this getting alot of peed off people and alot of complicated complecations ;) . Anyway I will dig into this further and keep all posted but at this time it seems to be kept under the table .. people know , but are not saying anything, prob by Order of Ofcom or such.
IN RADIO YOU HAVE TWO TOOLS - SOUND AND SILENCE.
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

They ain't going to move foundation to intermediate or intermediate to full Wayne without a exam, the new licence is pointless 3watts on VHF UHF :D where their talking to end of street, go buy a pmr would be my answer.
Without sounding like a old fart the foundation is easy enough for most people to pass I don't see why the bar should be lowered any more mate do you.
Also we can lose allocation at the snap of a finger no matter what your class is....I can't see them removing bands from foundation people and if they do no problem we will help pull them to the next level :D
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
G0JUR

Unread post by G0JUR »

Oh dear, if true it smacks of desperation on rsgb,s part.
As you say mark Fl is easy enough as it is, akin to giving a licence for being able to spell your name.
I will ask Ian Sheperd next time I see him,tbh cant really see that vhf/uhf with 3 watts is a viable proposition.,
M0XXQ

Unread post by M0XXQ »

Is it time to merge yet? :lol:
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

Ian it's different mate don't worry if the crap hits the fan you only have to learn resistor reading and make a project.... piece of cake..... :lol:
Stop whining ;)
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
sidspop

Unread post by sidspop »

3 watts on VHF UHF.
How many radios do you know that will do that, apart from an ancient off frequency 290 or a Bumfeng?