What Ham have you done today.

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
M0HJO

Re: What Ham have you done today.

Unread post by M0HJO »

M0BVL wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:35 pm
M0HJO wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:28 pm Well after having a BIG clear out in my shack, ALL my Icom gear has been sold!

Just had enough of poor service from icom UK over the last two years, terrible service.
Its the only way to make a stand! (plus ALL my gear was high end mega bucks stuff, icom UK did not give a monkeys)

So the new shack rebuild begins, in is a Expert MB-1 & TS-2000 for now/start with.

More to follow.

John.
How's it measure up now you've had it for a while ?
MB-1 is without doubt the best radio I have ever owned!
It could hear a fart on the moon!!

It even has VHF as a bonus.
Glad to be Here.
RNARS
RSGB
M0BVL(Silent Key)

Unread post by M0BVL(Silent Key) »

Haha sounds good ,they certainly look the part .
It's not broke yet ! ...just give me a minute.
M0HJO

Unread post by M0HJO »

I tell you what, The Kenwood TS-2000 for a cheap rig, (paid £495 for it) is not bad really.
(the chap even gave me a free PSU & two microphones)

Bought it to take out on the hills & camping, with the camper.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
But it will do what I want and not bad for the money.

Playing with it tonight in the shack, first contact of the rig was; New York on 20M.
Using a simple home made sloper and bare foot.

John.
Glad to be Here.
RNARS
RSGB
sidspop

Unread post by sidspop »

A funny week.
Not a lot of radio, more auto and domestic stuff.
Fitted new door lock to front door, 1st coat paint. Bled and rebuilt all brakes on my truck, so it now stops when I hit the middle pedal.
I bought a Tokyo antenna coupler, 9 band rather than 6 band FC901 I was using. Built like a privvy. I got another 5 QRM eliminators in, just got to build them. Eyes are playing up a bit, and difficult to do SMD when you can't see.
I bought a frequency standard a few weeks back, and aligned my counters. apart from big HP, which reads 0.1 Hz out in 10 meg. I thought that was accurate enough.
Also been playing with one of my Ft221s, I put a CTCSS in to it, so I can access simplex gateway. Quite fun on a 1970s radio. It needs aligning, a bit off frequency. I did think about dropping a CB type counter on the VFO, if all the bands are aligned then a CB counter will work for the khz part on each of the 4 bands.
A bloke bought me a Zetagi kilowatt linear to look at. On low and medium power it works, but on high power it stays in TX, even in to a dummy load. I am thinking parasitic oscillations, but trying to work out how to test and cure. Probably take a sniff in to SA and see what is happening.
Apart from that, not a lot really.
M0HJO

Unread post by M0HJO »

Well, nice sunny day here in Cornwall, no wind unlike yesterday!

So the 40/80M wire, taken down, replaced balun and coax, new stand off bracket on the stack, all good!

Been meaning to do it for a while, also found two broken slates, replaced them as well.

Good result all round.

John.
Glad to be Here.
RNARS
RSGB