Antenna is deaf, pardon?

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
sidspop

Antenna is deaf, pardon?

Unread post by sidspop »

Oh the joys of radio.
A couple of years ago I bought a brand new tri-band vertical for 6, 2 and 70. Carefully installed it on the chimney, I say carefully, it took me 6 weeks or so. I bolted a K bracket on the house, so I can strap a ladder to it, and then a crawling ladder strapped to that. I don't bounce as well as I used to!
I had to wait for a day with a dry roof, and little wind. Pre-assembled antenna, two new lashing kits and t was up.
Yesterday we had a mega lift, and the 2 metre side is as deaf as a post. I thought at first it's the radio, so I slapped it on sig gen, and it hears stuff at -125dBm.
I was doing some checks last night with a friend and FB messenger, about 2 miles away, and 250 ft higher.
Going through the band, he is listening to a bloke in Kent talking to a bloke in the Isle of Wight. I get nothing.
He is opening up a repeater at Weston Super Mare, I get nothing. Not even breaking the squelch.

So it looks like the antenna is faulty, I have heard of caps failing in these type of antennae, but either way it means another trip up the roof, to mess about with the blessed thing. What I do not understand is SWR is acceptable, below 1.3 ish.

I really should just get my backside in gear and install the 10 element that's been sat waiting for 18 months
M0VMT

Re: Antenna is deaf, pardon?

Unread post by M0VMT »

I've had a cap problem with one in the past, now my little colinear sits on the mast any issues I tilt the mast.
I don't mind going on the roof but has you get older the legs don't bend as much :lol:
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
sidspop

Unread post by sidspop »

Did you repair it or buy another?
M0BVL(Silent Key)

Unread post by M0BVL(Silent Key) »

I had a v2000 for almost a year then I changed because I couldn't here what others heard to an x300 ,couldn't believe the difference .I scrapped the v2000 ! .I run an x510 now which is a little bit better than the 300 .Having said all that 250 ft is a big difference with vhf .
It's not broke yet ! ...just give me a minute.
sidspop

Unread post by sidspop »

Yes I know 250 ft is big difference. He is also located on the western side of that 250ft higher hill, so his take off to West and South West is great, compared to mine. I get a clear view to east, but CF repeater is weak with me, I am about 550 ft asl.
I have one of those 20 ft things, bit of a monster for the chimney, or I may just connect up the old 2 mtr co-linear from 1984, which is sat in the yard.
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

Yes I replaced the caps with the equivalent and it worked for 6months and did the same although it was one of those really tall ones and I think that was half of the problem constant bending.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
sidspop

Unread post by sidspop »

Now sorted, and all done without the aid of a ladder.
I had gained an Icom 746, and was assured it was all working. Unfortunately he bloke I had it off couldn't lie straight in bed, and it turns out the radio is as deaf as a post.
Dropped a Kenwood TR-751 on the bench, and difference in signals is quite remarkable.
Oh well, another radio to fix, when I get 5 minutes.

What is annoying me is I misssed the massive lift we had, and I could have got some new squares.
M0XXQ

Unread post by M0XXQ »

Have a look at this link mate.
Icom 746 Poor RX
sidspop

Unread post by sidspop »

Will do.
Thanks for the link.
Shouldn't be too difficult to test,as I have a 2955 and IFR downstairs in workshop. Just annoyed that I didn't test it before putting on operating position.