IC-7610

Want to share a video on how to solder an RF connector? Have a step by step guide on how to operate some equipment? Share your notes and videos here.
M0HJO

IC-7610

Unread post by M0HJO »

Here we have the 7610, when I first got one on my bench, when two actually I thought lovely looking radio.
Then I found one of them, would put 18db of noise on VHF! I knew this because I had two of them, one was clean, the other, soon as you switched it on, 18db of noise! You may say, only about 3 S points, but a weak VHF signal would not be heard.

I swapped rig positions and power leads, but the same 7610 put noise on VHF.
After I did my own tests, I found it coming from the screen.
Sent it back to icom UK, it came back to me, reply from icom UK, its within spec!!
I asked, so does it have a problem and its acceptable, or what you saying, again they would only say, "its within spec"

That's the day I lost some trust with icom.
Until then, I was there biggest fan, spending £90K on their gear in a 10 years period.
I felt very let down.

Back to the rig, then we find loads had screen burn and ghosting problems, these were replaced under warranty!
Mine were long gone by then, didn't trust them. That just sums up why mine had a screen noise problems.
The knobs on the 7610 were just flimsy and terrible, cheap and nasty.

The radio on TX was clean no problems there, RX being SDR was very good and selective.
Very nice radio, let down by poor screens and cheap knobs.

Buy two 7300s and have some money left over for another toy!!

John.
M0HJO.
Glad to be Here.
RNARS
RSGB