Acom 1200S

Want to share a video on how to solder an RF connector? Have a step by step guide on how to operate some equipment? Share your notes and videos here.
M0HJO

Acom 1200S

Unread post by M0HJO »

I needed a new amp to replace my old Icom PW-1 solid state amp.

Having tried the SPE Expert 1.3K-FA, first impressions it was a very good amp, then found menu can be complex and misleading & the built in ATU terrible, for the money I wanted more!

I settled on the Acom 1200S, no built in ATU, but if you bought an LDG 1000 PRO2 with it, you got a discount on the ATU.
It worked out about £400 cheaper than the SPE. (buying the acom ldg combo)
The LDG 1000PRO2 is brilliant by the way!

Wow, I love it, built like a tank, easy menu set up and 6W from the TS-990 gives UK legal limit!
Radio ticking over, amp ticking over.

I made a lead from radio to amp to send into TX, very easy to knock up.
But, an extra cable to do the same plus band control I got from here: http://www.hamcables.co.uk/

This chap makes cables for all sorts of radio gear and amps, first class, worth a look.

So, if you want a solid, reliable solid state amp, this could be for you!!

John.
M0HJO.
Glad to be Here.
RNARS
RSGB
M0VMT

Re: Acom 1200S

Unread post by M0VMT »

Thanks for the review John but I have to say it's what I expected from you over the coming weeks regard this equipment.
Gm6dx that's Billy great bloke his knowledge on connectors and equipment is superb, I've used Billy good service.
Having had the acom 1010 some years I shall probably stay with acom, I have the ldg 600 atu and it's never missed a beat.
I fancy the 700s but I shall have to wait for my work to pick up now.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
M0HJO

Re: Acom 1200S

Unread post by M0HJO »

M0VMT wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:58 am Thanks for the review John but I have to say it's what I expected from you over the coming weeks regard this equipment.
Gm6dx that's Billy great bloke his knowledge on connectors and equipment is superb, I've used Billy good service.
Having had the acom 1010 some years I shall probably stay with acom, I have the ldg 600 atu and it's never missed a beat.
I fancy the 700s but I shall have to wait for my work to pick up now.
Mark, there was a G4 on another forum who asked me how I found 1200S, he couldn't decide on the 1200S or 700S.

I replied to him, I was in the same dilemma as I was looking at both for about two weeks!
In the end I went for the 1200S, for not a lot of money more, plenty of headroom.

The G4 went and bought the 700S.

John.
Glad to be Here.
RNARS
RSGB