Online remote invigilation expanding

Latest radio related news and updates from contesting to DXpeditions, rallies and events.
M0VMT

Re: Online remote invigilation expanding

Unread post by M0VMT »

I don't mind mentoring anyone whether hands on like antenna building or technical advise if I can and I've done it from day one so it's nothing new for me and this online exam changes nothing regards the spirit of ham radio.
Let's hope our M7s put the effort in for the IM when it's online after all it's the least they can do in my opinion or will we be getting the same old book of excuses.
The numbers progressing over the coming years will be interesting won't they this online exam business could make it break the future of radio.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
gw7unv

Unread post by gw7unv »

I know two remote exam foundation licensees, the first is a lad that has been an avid listener since the age of 12, he's always asking me questions even though he knows about as much as I do about radio... He's very happy with his 5 watt radio, making datamode contacts worldwide.. After passing the foundation he started studying for the intermediate.

The other is a well off retiree, who knows it all, and just bought himself a nice new linear.....!!

Some you can mentor some you can't.

Evan
M3PIE

Unread post by M3PIE »

gw7unv wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:21 am I know two remote exam foundation licensees, the first is a lad that has been an avid listener since the age of 12, he's always asking me questions even though he knows about as much as I do about radio... He's very happy with his 5 watt radio, making datamode contacts worldwide.. After passing the foundation he started studying for the intermediate.

The other is a well off retiree, who knows it all, and just bought himself a nice new linear.....!!

Some you can mentor some you can't.

Evan

Agreed some won't but many want to learn and enjoy the hobby and some stay either at F/L or INTER but hopefully with the online exams more will move up the ladder and enjoy the privileges that we get :!:
Mark.
M3PIE

Unread post by M3PIE »

The RSGB is delighted to announce that recently the 1,000th person has passed the Foundation exam via remote invigilation. Congratulations to them and everyone else who has joined amateur radio via this exam process.

To celebrate, the Society has launched a new web page to share the stories of just some of these successful candidates. Go to www.rsgb.org/gota2c-licensee-stories to read what attracted them to amateur radio and what they are hoping to do next.
M3PIE

Unread post by M3PIE »

Since bookings opened on the 13th of July, the RSGB is delighted that over 400 people have booked a remote-invigilation Intermediate exam, with over 250 registering on the first day! These exams take place from the 12th of August and we wish the candidates well with their studying and the exam.

With more than 1000 remote-invigilation Foundation licence students having passed, the RSGB is making the July edition of RadCom Basics a special free-to-everyone edition. With many radio amateurs world-wide still affected by national lockdown restrictions, RadCom Basics is an opportunity to introduce elements of the hobby to newcomers in bite-sized pieces. To read the July copy of this bi-monthly online publication, go to www.rsgb.org/radcom-basics.
M3PIE

Unread post by M3PIE »

RSGB online ham radio exams
Most of the available slots for the online RSGB amateur radio Foundation and Intermediate exams in September are already booked

The demand for amateur radio exams has been very high since April when the RSGB introduced online exams that people can take from home. The earliest available exam slots are now in the last week of September.

You can book an online exam at
http://www.rsgb.org/exampay

Free Foundation Online Training is available at
https://www.essexham.co.uk/train/foundation-online/

Free Intermediate and Foundation training courses are at
https://gm6dx.thinkific.com/
M3PIE

Unread post by M3PIE »

The RSGB remote invigilation exams continue to help hundreds of people join the world of amateur radio and progress to the Intermediate licence level.

From youngsters who have decided to learn a new skill whilst being off school during lockdown to older people who have overcome their fear of exams, they have wanted to share their stories in the hope of inspiring others to take the plunge! Read some of their stories on our website and then listen out for them on the air: www.rsgb.org/gota2c-licensee-stories #GOTA2C
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

Well I have to say the uptake of the new license structure from old foundation and IM holders has been non existent from the guys I know which I find puzzling.
Yet some newbies are chewing the tiers up, why is this and why have those that have had a foundation or intermediate not bothered using the online opportunity to progress.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D