Online remote invigilation expanding

Latest radio related news and updates from contesting to DXpeditions, rallies and events.
M3PIE

Re: Online remote invigilation expanding

Unread post by M3PIE »

Record numbers take UK amateur radio exams
On Friday June 26 the RSGB reported over 800 candidates had successfully completed their online Foundation amateur radio exam and over 650 exams were booked for future dates

The Society says it is hoped that bookings can also be opened to new Intermediate candidates in the near future, once existing bookings are cleared. Full exams will follow on in a similar manner in due course.
M3PIE

Unread post by M3PIE »

Dave Wilson, M0OBW, RSGB President and Exams Quality Assurance Manager, has announced that the 1000th online invigilated exam took place on the 1st of July.

He anticipated that the 1000th successful candidate will pass the exam sometime this coming week. The RSGB would like to thank all involved in this remote invigilation exam process, including Ofcom, the RSGB exams department and all those invigilating. It’s a great example of amateur radio coming together.
VK5TM

Unread post by VK5TM »

And regardless of the final quality of Hams emerging from the other end of this process, why couldn't this have been done earlier?

With proper forethought all the clubs that are now suffering could have had involvement in one way or another, part of which could involve guiding and mentoring those newly passed into the hobby.

Problem is, with so many stick in the muds, it would have become "all too hard".
MM0TFU

Unread post by MM0TFU »

Many of those now taking the Foundation Licence online are those who, for a variety of reasons, would not or could not attend a local club to train for and sit the exam. In many cases this will be because there was no local club available, particularly in the more rural and remote areas of the country, or perhaps attending a club was not practical due to work or family commitments. There will also be a significant proportion with radio 'history' which might have made them wary of going to their local amateur radio club where they might have been somewhat less than welcomed with open arms, but it is what it is, and was probably something the RSGB had been plotting for a while, and when Covid-19 came along, it was viewed as an opportunity by them to get the ball rolling.

My issue isn't that they've changed the exam system without consulting clubs or members, and it isn't even the manner in which it was rushed through under what might be considered by the more cynical of us to be false pretences, my issue is that they've facilitated a whole bunch of complete newbies at the expense of the existing crop of FL's and Intermediates. Many of these existing licenced amateur could have used the 'lock-down' time and the online facilities to progress in a hobby that they have already shown a degree of commitment to, and would have been more of an asset to the hobby going forward. In fact, had these people been prioritised it may just have been the impetus that some were needing to encourage progression. But that didn't happen, and they are still, several months on, waiting for their turn to benefit.

Why has this happened? Could it be that a significant proportion of those existing amateur are ALREADY members of the RSGB, and there's no money to be made from new memberships from them?

If I was an Intermediate waiting for the chance to sit the Advanced ticket online, I'd be absolutely f***in' raging with the RSGB. Fortunately, I'm not.
Cheers,
Iain.

Illegitimi non carborundum
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

Just get ready for the M7s that spend £15k on a shack and say 17years later.....I only need the M7 and my 10 watts and acom 1500 :lol:
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
M3PIE

Unread post by M3PIE »

RSGB introduces remote invigilation for Intermediate exams

Following the success of remote invigilation Foundation exams, the RSGB is pleased to expand that to include Intermediate level exams.

From Monday 13 July the automated exam booking system will accept bookings for both Foundation and Intermediate level exams.

Please note that the earliest available bookings for exams at either level are during the second week in August.

The requirement for Intermediate practical assessments is waived until further notice but will be reviewed at a later stage.
gw7unv

Unread post by gw7unv »

More dumbing down of a dumbed down qualification...
I take it the exams have not been adjusted to take into account the losing of the practical element...
WTF don't the RSCB just sell the tickets..!

Evan
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

Next year it will be changed to Foundation, £10 plus one years subs to the RSGB, Intermediate, £50 plus two years plus to the RSGB, and Full, £150 plust 3 years subs to the RSGB.
Gift packs will be available for the above at Lidl and Aldi, and a year later at Poundland
G 3 E J S
M0HJO

Unread post by M0HJO »

M3PIE wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:07 pm RSGB introduces remote invigilation for Intermediate exams

Following the success of remote invigilation Foundation exams, the RSGB is pleased to expand that to include Intermediate level exams.

From Monday 13 July the automated exam booking system will accept bookings for both Foundation and Intermediate level exams.

Please note that the earliest available bookings for exams at either level are during the second week in August.

The requirement for Intermediate practical assessments is waived until further notice but will be reviewed at a later stage.
I wonder when people like Stu 2E0DQQ will be rewarded, he is waiting to take the FULL, still waiting!
People like him, have progressed as in the way it was intended, spent his money on subs, took the time to learn, when will the RSGB reward these people??

No, lets drop the practical and get people in who has never picked up a microphone before!
Now why is that??

Easy, get the newbie in on a basic exam, take the money, get them to sign up, take some more cash, then send to one of the BIG rig shops to spend some more cash!!

The chaps like Stu have already spent their money on subs and gear, no cash in those people is there!!

RSGB = get the cash in!!!
Glad to be Here.
RNARS
RSGB
M3PIE

Unread post by M3PIE »

It is a shame that people can't go straight to the RCF full exam @ 90 questions.
But the system has changed and no matter how much AR operators complain it won't change.
According the RSCB they will be in due course the full remote exams. But my worry is the damage this will do to local radio clubs and loss of future members and dare i say it revenue. some clubs may have to downscale but RSCB will still want their fees for the affiliation status and insurance.
Although some clubs convert in virtual/online type which shows can be done during this lockdown.
The future of Amateur radio is not just the RSCB it is our hands, if we are to keep up the traditions we must mentor our fledgling F/L and intermediate level licence holders. I am sure most will take it on bord if given a chance up till now i have never had a problem mentoring and when i was a registered NRAE instructor with qualified certification not just from the RSCB but also other sources i have had some very good well mentored newomers some that are full call holders. Also been a instructor later in the Foundation course they have moved up the ladder, sadly some did not get the chance and are now S/K.
I am often sked by the newcomers in coming through for advice i help were i can if i don't know i say so or direct them to the correct info/people.
Please try to mentor the new crop coming into our hobby!!!
73, Mark.