Online remote invigilation expanding

Latest radio related news and updates from contesting to DXpeditions, rallies and events.
M3PIE

Unread post by M3PIE »

The online remote invigilation of the UK Foundation amateur radio exam continues to be extremely popular, with over 800 successful candidates so far, and more than 650 already booked for future Foundation exams.

The RSGB is now contacting candidates and exam secretaries who had previously booked for Intermediate exams before social distancing caused their postponement.

Candidates will be offered online remote invigilation exam slots.

It is hoped that bookings can also be opened to new Intermediate candidates in the near future, once existing bookings are cleared.

Full exams will follow on in a similar manner in due course.
M0VMT

Re: Online remote invigilation expanding

Unread post by M0VMT »

Have they a contingency plan set up for the radio clubs that have been finished off by the online exam I wonder.
I think we all need to reflect back on what killed cb radio and what it may do to us, the internet is a beast just reflect back on the small shops that we all once had on our streets who help kill them.
I'm happy to have new comers/new blood but I'm still not entirely convinced that this will in time show as a good move.
The full call should have been online first and the 2es should have been given the privilege first in my opinion.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
M3PIE

Unread post by M3PIE »

Nothing yet, but i think it will hit them hard in the purse and membership numbers.
But it will help those who want to take the exams where no club doing it in the area.
Mark.
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

Come the 4th of July I would imagine most clubs are back in business.
Makes you wonder how we found the time working full time and getting to the club to study then an exam.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
M3PIE

Unread post by M3PIE »

One of the local clubs near me reopens on the 9th July.
how many will go for exams when they can do it at home and don't need to join a club.?
M0HJO

Unread post by M0HJO »

M3PIE wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:34 am One of the local clubs near me reopens on the 9th July.
how many will go for exams when they can do it at home and don't need to join a club.?

Yep, its killed the club seen Mark, plus it will divide even more!
Glad to be Here.
RNARS
RSGB
Sangoma

Unread post by Sangoma »

M0HJO wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:16 pm
M3PIE wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:34 am One of the local clubs near me reopens on the 9th July.

Yep, its killed the club seen Mark, plus it will divide even more!

What clubs, and what are they like?

In 2009, I decided to start RC flying again. I started in 1976.

I joined the nearest club to me, that seemed ideal.

They had a policy that all new members must fly on a buddy box. (ask if you don't know what it is :) )

I waited hours on a few days for a flight, none very good, seemed I was a nuisance.

Then one day, after waiting most of the afternoon (with a full size helicopter pilot doing 3D right above the runway) I had a flight with an instructor.
Coming in to land, he shouted "it's mine" and floated down the runway until he hit the long grass at the end.
The hero helicopter pilot came up to me and said I needed a lot more practice! I told hom I was not flying, his clubmate was, but now I would show him how I would do it how I would do it.
I pulled the buddy lead plug out, and landed in both directions without a problem. Their only comment was I did not fly circuits in the correct direction :)

I never went back again, joined another club, was tested by a member and had a great time.

OK, that is not amateur radio, but I don't want to relate my experiences with radio clubs, but they are very similar. ther above says what I have found.

Seems that if you are part of the main interest group it is fine, if not they have no time for you.

So if clubs lose out, from what I have seen, it is because of their own attitudes.
G 3 E J S
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

That's correct Steve I left my original club after years because of the lack of technical aspects and the influx of people that were only interested in a m6 and drinking tea and yapping.
I visited a few clubs looking for a new home and one was so bad if reminded me of the gestapo, I can tolerate being questioned but this was on another level and I was a full call not a newbie and had I'd been a newbie I would have put them off for life.
Then I was at a show last year and bumped into a tent with the Barnsley club inside excellent bunch of lads some new calls some old and very welcoming and I should actually chase that up.
Not all clubs are welcoming I agree but once you get to know them more some can open up and be good, effort has to made on both sides I guess.
Oh well nothing's perfect is it :D
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
G6CSL

Unread post by G6CSL »

My last club turned into a contest group. That's all they ever talked about, and the rest of us gradually stopped going one-by-one.

A bit like amateur radio in general, really.
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

G6CSL wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:29 pm My last club turned into a contest group. That's all they ever talked about, and the rest of us gradually stopped going one-by-one.

A bit like amateur radio in general, really.

Mr Secretary I have to say that's 5/9
Next :lol:
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS