Like Human Hair in the Ocean

Latest radio related news and updates from contesting to DXpeditions, rallies and events.
M0XXQ

Like Human Hair in the Ocean

Unread post by M0XXQ »

Larry Horlick still marvels when he thinks about what happens when he turns on his ham radio.

"I'm taking my voice and that radio is converting it into an electrical signal and the amount of electrical energy that he is receiving is so minuscule," said Horlick, a Coley's Point resident who is one of a group of radio enthusiasts in Conception Bay North.

"It is like a human hair in an ocean and that fascinates me to this day."

Amateur radio was around for nearly a century before the internet, and to this day is the only form of communication that does not depend on a network.
Even in a world of smartphones, Facebook and texting, ham radio still holds a mystique for many people. More than two million people around the world still use the technology. Of the estimated 40,000 users in Canada, as many as 1,500 live in Newfoundland and Labrador.

An amateur radio user can connect with anyone practically around the world. The only countries that do not allow amateur radio operators are North Korea and Yemen.

Read the full article here:
It's not just a hobby. In a crisis, amateur operators provide a lifeline
VK5TM

Re: Like Human Hair in the Ocean

Unread post by VK5TM »

"It is like a human hair in an ocean and that fascinates me to this day."
That is definitely different and not one I can say I've heard before.

But one thing I can say for certain, there's plenty of mine out there somewhere :lol: