FreeDV

Discuss topics around Digital Radio modes such as DMR, Fusion etc
mcafzap

FreeDV

Unread post by mcafzap »

So what's FreeDV? It's the ONLY open source digital radio AND it is better than SSB by about 2dB See: FreeDV.org
M0XXQ

Re: FreeDV

Unread post by M0XXQ »

Mark is ye man for this sort of info mate.
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

mcafzap wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:41 am So what's FreeDV? It's the ONLY open source digital radio AND it is better than SSB by about 2dB See: FreeDV.org
Hiya
I had a quick look is it sdr listening software I did see kiwisdr is in there on the links that's sdr receive software in early development and great I use it and I'm considering getting my own kiwisdr.
More digging me thinks.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
G6CSL

Unread post by G6CSL »

No.
People confuse the name with 'digimodes' such as DStar etc.

FreeDV is just 'digital voice'. It sends SSB between radios as a digital signal rather than an analogue one.

So you still need two HF radios, antennas etc. It is kind of a narrower, more efficient relative of the hated ESSB. :)

So this really belongs in the HF Section.
G6CSL

Unread post by G6CSL »

It's quite a nifty system actually, and might come into its own as more and more people get swamped by local 'hash'. It's less than half the width of a normal SSB signal.

I contacted the developers to try to get them interested in issuing a super-narrow version for Morse, with the incoming 'beeps' generated locally by the receive codec instead of 'beating' from off-air. Fell on deaf ears unfortunately. :)

https://freedv.org/